PDW-700 and Avid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

PDW-700 and Avid

I've been trouble shooting an Avid Media Composer for a client and came across a few issues an niggles that cause some confusion. In particular the client could not get clips with "Free" names to import correctly. I made some notes that may help others with a similar setup.

There is a bug that is know to Avid that means you cannot re-link proxy clips to hi-res clips where timelapse or cache record has been used, this include any clips shot on a 700 with disc exchange cache switched on.

To turn Cache and Timelapse off go to Operation Menu Page 5 Rec Function
Set Cache/Intval Rec to "off"
Set DiscExchg Cache to "off"

Then set up clip "free" naming correctly on both the camera and device that will be used to import the footage into the Avid.......

The Camera..

Operation Menu Page 27, Clip Title
Set Title to "Enable"

Operation Menu Page 28, File Naming
Set Naming form to "free"
Set Auto naming to "Title"

If using the camera as a deck remember to go to page 07 Power Save and set iLink(FAM) to "Enable"

If using a U1 after installing the U1 software go to "Start" - "Programs" - "U1 Utility" and in the preferences switch clip naming from "C*****" to "Free"

If using the HD1500 press Menu and scroll down to item 35 Clip Title Naming
Set Title to "Enable"
Press "Save"

Then

item 36 File Naming
Set Naming Form to "Free"
Set Auto Naming to "Title"

If you do the above then long (free) clip names will be read by Avid and if the deck or drive is connected to the computer directly re-linking (use the "clip" "batch import" function) or batch conversion from the Proxies to Full Res files will work. We tested this today with DV, IMX and 1080i HD and it worked in all modes. If using the camera as a source the camera MUST be set to exactly the same record mode as the material on the disk.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Bit crap still isn't it! With FCP you just stick it in and it works! Had a post house call me the other day saying the Avid came up with an error saying that it could not use a clip with cache or timelapse record and it completely threw me, I couldn't believe it'd be an issue.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I can't believe that simply having disc exchange cache switched on, even if you don't actually use it, makes Avid throw a wobbly. From what I can tell Avid has issues over timecode when the cache is on or timelapse is used.

As you say FCP just works, and works very well including the ability to preview the proxies and select just the bits you want. With Avid you can only bring in entire clips and there is no way to see the clip thumbnails.

Avid really do seem to have lost their way. The interface which was once state of the art is by todays standards restrictive, forcing you to have to change modes to trim clips is cumbersome. Avid's media management is still very good and other NLE makers could learn a lot there, but otherwise I really don't like Avid anymore.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

They seemed to lose their way when other manufacturers started making systems as good or better for 1/10th the price! They had a near monopoly which fortunately no longer exists.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Wrangler

I had some issues on a shoot with my F350. The producer's Avid MC 3.0 on Windows was being a real pain. I was feeding proxy video from the field. Oddly enough, the producer had Avid MC 3.0.1 on OSX and it accepted the clips.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #6
New Boot

Apparently, Sony has been spending a lot of time working hand to hand with Apple these last 3 years. Remember the Landrover chalenge was shot in 25 mbps mode because at the time Final Cut Pro couldn't handle the 35mbps XDCAMHD footages, although it is the same codec and thin raster as HDV.
Now things are really working fine with FCP and I've been told the energy is actualy going back to Avid who indeed requires some improvements to stay in the competition.
I'll try to get confirmation but AFAIK solid stuff is on it's way, including better support for MXF advanced wrappers, 422 50mbps output any many exciting stuff.
Forest Finbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Finbow View Post
Apparently, Sony has been spending a lot of time working hand to hand with Apple these last 3 years. Remember the Landrover chalenge was shot in 25 mbps mode because at the time Final Cut Pro couldn't handle the 35mbps XDCAMHD footages, although it is the same codec and thin raster as HDV.
Now things are really working fine with FCP and I've been told the energy is actualy going back to Avid who indeed requires some improvements to stay in the competition.
I'll try to get confirmation but AFAIK solid stuff is on it's way, including better support for MXF advanced wrappers, 422 50mbps output any many exciting stuff.
Not sure what you mean by "MXF Advanced Wrappers" but 422 50mbps read/write has been supported on Avid products since release x.0.5. Avid is actually working pretty smoothly wiht XDCAM HD. It can do things FCPro has not touch yet such as batch importing a sequence made of proxy clips. Also, the implementation of XDCAM clips metadata in the media data base for reloading, relinking or reimporting projects originated from XDCAM media is quite more advanced than FCPro.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts