SONY mount vs JVC mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SONY mount vs JVC mount

Maybe a silly question - but I can't find any answers on Google and the like...

Are there differences between the two 1/2" mounts? Asking, because I have a Canon lens that fitted perfectly on a JVC GY-5100 but won't fit at all on a SONY PDW 330.

If there are differences - have anyone tried to get Canon or Fuji to replace the mount on a lens (probably cheaper than going out to buy a new lens - and adaptors are nowhere to be found). Looks like a mount is only a screw-in piece...

Getting desperate :-)

/peter
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Vortex Media

I don't know anything about the JVC, but the F330 will accept any standard 1/2" broadcast lens.
What's the model number of the Canon that won't fit?
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Dough,

The model number is Canon YH19 X 6.7 IRS, which I bought from B&H approx. a year ago. It's a nice lens with a 2 x extender.

Problem seems to be the 3 flanges. They are too small for the "receiver" on the SONY cam, so the lens wobbles and can easily fall off.... :-(

/peter
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Vortex Media

This might sound stupid, but are you certain the F330 doesn't have a 2/3" adapter mounted on it? It might be hard to notice and appear to be just a part of the camera.

I can't see any other reason why the camera and lens should not match up perfectly.
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The Panasonic 1/2" mount is different to the Sony one, it would not surprise me if the Panasonic and JVC half inch mounts were the same. The Sony mount has built in pins to connect the lens power, the Panasonic mount does not.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Vortex Media

But the specifications for the Canon YH19 X 6.7 IRS make no mention of it being anything other than a standard 1/2" mount lens.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Good point Doug. I did use a YH19x6.7 KRS on my F350 when I first got it. But I notice on the Canon site that there are pictures of it with both pins built in to the mount and without pins but with a cable.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Vortex Media

Everytime I have to shop for a lens I find the whole process frustrating and confusing. Both Fujinon and Canon make it very hard to tell one model from another. I don't know why one of them can't seize the opportunity to create a chart with specific lens recommendations for specific camera models -- with pros and cons of each lens choice.

Really, how hard could it be? Even if you add up all the camera models from Sony, Canon, JVC, and Panasonic it couldn't take more than a few days to make a chart. Think of the man-hours it would save for throusands of customers.
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Interesting discussion - it seems like I'm not the only one getting frustrated about lens mounts :-)

It's true that the SONY mount has a "hot-shoe" connector, but (at least my) camera has an external plug, so you can use a wired lens als (without the pins).

Valid point about the possibility that previous owner has mounting a 2/3 lens mount´on the camera - anyone have any diameter sized (in millimeters, pse) og 1/2" and/or 2/3", so I could measure the mount diagonally?

I have tried 3 different 1/2" lenses on the camera mount (all previously used with a JVC cam) - and they all wobble and flanges are a bit too small. There's also a bit of lateral and vertical movement. There's no way the lenses will stay on the cam.

EDIT: I just measured the outside diameter of the black plastic cap we put on a camera, when there's no lens mounted. The diameter of the plate is 49 mm. On the JVC-lens the flanges are 12.4 mm while on plastic plate for the SONY the flanges are approx. 17 mm - so what have we - a 1/2" or 2/3" mount ????
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #10
Vortex Media

If the lens has an 2/3" adapter on it, you should be able to see that pretty clearly.

Is there more than one lens release knob on the camera? If so, rotate the lever closest to the camera body and see if the 2/3" adapter drops off. If I remember right it's about an 1.5" thick.

If you haven't seen it yet after looking closely, I doubt there is a 2/3" adapter on the camera.
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Dough,

No, there's only one release lever, so I guess it's the stock !/2" mount. Which then only leads to assume, that there is a difference between the /JVC/Pana 1/2" mount and a SONY !/2" mount (apart from the hot-shoe).

Worth noticing for all of us....

I have ended up buying this lens from California. Now I hope/trust it's the correct one :-)

Fujinon S19x6.5BRM 19x 1/2" CCD Lens Sony Mount DVCAM bei eBay.de: Other (endet 09.12.09 02:21:13 MEZ)

Now the Canon YH19 X 6.7 IRS w/ 2x extender will go on sale here and on eBay after a while, if not sold. Any ideas anyone of a decent price for such a lens - I have no clue whatsoever.
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Major Player

I am not a PRO regarding the lenses names, but for my pdw330

my 1/2 hotshoe Canon YH 18x6.7 KRS A is called SY14 (thats the hotshoe version)

as well as my

1/2 hotshoe Canon YH12x4.8 KRS SY14.

MY PANASONIC 1/2" DVCPRO camcorder has a lens

1/2 CANON YH13x7.5 KRS IX12
and doesnt fit on the PDWf330.

I once found a description for canon lenses in the net, but dont know where anymore.

Best is to contact canon and ask for details how the right (SONY) lenses are called.

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Major Player

Re: SONY mount vs JVC mount

I know this this an old thread, but I just had an experience that can help others to choose the right lens. I bought a Canon YH19x6.7 KRS from Adorama, and they assured me it would fit my Sony PMW320. When it finally came in from the US, I had the same problem as Peter: wobbling lens and no way it would stay on the camera. Turns out that SY14 is the denomination for 'Sony bayonet', and that the JVC bayonet (like the one on the lens that I bought) has smaller flange lips. About 3 millimeters smaller than the Sony bayonet, so there's no way it will ever fit.

Having a hot shoe or not is not a decisive factor either: I've seen this lens for Sony, without the hot shoe contacts.

Luckily, Adorama has a very trustworthy 'money back warranty' and I got a complete refund. The only money I'm still waiting for - for over a month now-, is the import tax that I paid to UPS. They keep stalling and finding lame excuses for not paying me back what I paid cash to their courier. Disgusting.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM   #14
Major Player

Re: SONY mount vs JVC mount

Just to let you all know that this lens-story knew a happy ending after all: UPS refunded the import taxes and the handling fee completely, but after a very long period. It seems it took them so long to recuperate the money from customs. Now why doesn't that surprise me...?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts