60i or 30p - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:21 PM   #31
Trustee

Not arguing asthetics, 24p is a PITA for me. But there's a huge cadre of 24p supporters. Why else the hue and cry to Canon to add 24p to the 5DMkII dslr? I also hear it commonly stated, that if you want worldwide compatibility, 24p can be speeded up to 25p, or 25p slowed down to 24p all very easily. And either one with the appropriate 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown can work on 60/i or 50/i broadcast systems. But to convert 30p to 24p or 25p gives terrible results. So how do you make 30p play nice on the PAL systems?

Because otherwise, I think you are just stating a preference for the asthetic look of 30/p over 24/p which I would agree with, if that's all there was to the issue. But that said, 24p can look stellar on Blu-ray, as the other poster noted.

So my only concern with 30/p is if you use it, you've created a bastard child.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Anton, are you sure your camera doesn't have 1/50th? I find that very hard to believe. All the XDCAM cameras can shoot 1/50th in the PAL mode. What camera are you talking about?

Also, beyond that issue, you could never tell the difference between 1/50, ECS 49.8, and ECS 50.3. To the human eye, they would all look the same.
you may hit me over the head

I was checking all available shutter speeds when in interlaced mode and the lowest listed is 1/60 besides ECS

once switched to 25p, 1/50 magically appears

but I believe that in your case, progressive shooting will look better than in my case because you have extra 5 frames each second

also, 30p is not part of the DVD or Blu-ray spec, I wonder what is your delivery format
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #33
Regular Crew

OK folks, I've had a chance to do some testing. Since there were posters that were arguing for 24p, I decided to test shooting traffic in 24P, it being the more restrictive of the two.

I set up alongside a busy street during the evening rush. Speed limit 40 mph, so some cars were going slower, some faster.

I went through ECS settings and shutter speeds ranging from off to 1/125th.

The best results I obtained was at the lower settings, where cars would start to blur just past the center of the screen (this watching on a monitor).

At higher settings, the blur began to be replaced by judder.

As a control, I shot about a minute at 60i, 1/125th.

It looked nice and smooth, with cars blurring only as they approached the very corner of the screen.

I know that most everything I watch in HD on television is shot at 24p and looks lovely.

But for the life of me, anything I shoot that has much motion, shutter on, off, high, low, does not look good in 24P.

Is there anything more than setting the fool thing to 24P, turning on the shutter and adjusting it to the desired setting?

My distributor wants blu-rays in 24P. Right now, it seems to me it will look better to shoot in 60I, and try to go down the frightful road of standards conversion.

Thoughts? Thanks again. I enjoy hearing the different points of view!
Les Jarrett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts