Sony introduces 1/2" HD XDCAM for $20K - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:39 PM   #46
Major Player

Well said Simon.

I think I am just going to buy an HD100 now and use it for SD work with my exsisting editing suite. The HD is just a bonus that's ready if I need it. I have been asking clients if they want HD for every job for a few months now and no one is interested. Most still don't know what "widescreen" is. At least they have stopped asking for VHS delivery. I refuse to use VHS anymore.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #47
Inner Circle

btw, I was researching the codec spec for the sd version of the xdcam.
It's at mpeg@mainmpl @ 4:2:2(8bit:4:2:2), but the new HD XDCAM is 4:2:0.
So we can't base any assumptions about visual quality on the existing SD versions.
Guess they didn't want anything to cut into the more expensive cinealta line.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #48
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

Saw the camera yesterday and it is fantastic! Just to make it clear this camera is designed for small Tv stations and independent shooters. It is a step above the prosumer HD cameras (HVX, etc) but a step below a 2/3 inch camera.
Walter Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #49
Trustee

I've been promised an evaluation model for ages now. I live in hope. I'd like to get it evaluated properly from a qualified broadcast engineer point of view as well as on a project. If/when I do I'll post my results up. Looks cool though, certainly for low budget stuff. I'll be intrigued as to whether some of the new features in the F330 etc cameras with regards to footage logging and organisation will be included in any future firmware upgrades of current SD cameras.

I haven't heard much about live remote logging or memory stick proxy recording despite these features being enabled on current cameras.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #50
Inner Circle

I'm wondering if their wireless kits will still work since the throughput is similar to the SD version.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #51
Major Player

Dealer just quoted me:

PDW-F330L [without lens] approx list price GBP 10,500
PDW-F330K [with lens] approx list price GBP 13,800
Availability March

PDW-F350L [without lens] approx list price GBP 15,900
Availability March.

Doesn't say what lens though!
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #52
Major Player

It's not high def that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connor
Dealer just quoted me:
PDW-F330L [without lens] approx list price GBP 10,500
PDW-F330K [with lens] approx list price GBP 13,800
Availability March
Doesn't say what lens though!
It's not a high definition lens that's darn sure. It's either a pro-video most likely or maybe a low level broadcast lens if there is such a thing. The only High Def 1/2" lens i know about is the Fujinon (HSs18x5.5B RD) and that's around $7500. if not more.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #53
Major Player

Canon also have an 1/2 inch HD lens at that price
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #54
Regular Crew

10,500 GBP = $18,200 USD

I thought Sony has a $16,800 MSRP on the F330 (Body Only)
Was your quote with a some Anton Bauer batteries or something?

It's to my understanding that the Auto Focus Canon HD lens will selll for $7500 and the Fujinon Manual HD lens for $13,000.
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #55
Contributor

I got the XDCAM sales DVD from Sony a few weeks ago. It's old and does not have the HD cameras in it, but the XDCAM optical disc part is the same. I had not considered moving toward a tapeless world until I watched the DVD and read the pdf's, etc. The whole XDCAM concept has some excellent advantages. Sony is saying its' testing is proving even better ruggedness than tape, with accelerated testing showing 50 years of storage. They also say temperature extremes have no effect on recording.

The discs are about $30 (U.S.), and in the HD mode I seem to recall that you can get about an hour at 35mbs (maybe it's 50 minutes, I don't remember for sure). That puts the 35mbs recording at about the same price as DVCAM tape. No need to transfer all your footage to another format as you do with pricier solid state recording.

I also like the way you can access scenes instantly. You see thumbnails on the beginning frame of every take on the camera's flipout screen, and you can scroll through them with the cursor, click on one you want to see, and then be ready to shoot again in an instant. That resonates with me because I shoot mostly with a DSR500 and use PD184 tapes a lot. On my last shoot, with clients around, I was always having to rewind way back in the tape so they could check continuity, then FF back to the tail and cue up and double check everything to make sure I wasn't recording over something or leaving a time code break. And the proxy files are cool too for rough cutting and organizing archival stuff.

Somewhere I read they will come out with a 2/3" chip XDCAM HD camera sometime soon. That could mean next year, who knows. I've never thought about going down to a 1/2" chip camera before, but this new one has possibilities.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #56
RED Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
Interesting. Although I wouldn't know these tech specs myself. Maybe Graeme can tell us more if he's reading?
It's a tough question. I think it's about 2.5:1 - Remember the 35mbits is variable though, so that makes it even more complex. The quality I saw looked very good, but...

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #57
RED Problem Solver

The variable frame rate is not quite as cool as you'd think though.

It's limited - in PAL modes, you can't go above 50fps, so if you want 60fps, you need to switch to NTSC modes. At least it's "dual standard".

However, at frame rates above 25fps or 30fps respectively, it records half resolution frames!!!! Yes, it ceases to be properly fully progressive. I guess it just embeds into 1080i. Ouch. So the vari-frame modes give you 540p - oh dear....

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Aston
10,500 GBP = $18,200 USD

I thought Sony has a $16,800 MSRP on the F330 (Body Only)
Was your quote with a some Anton Bauer batteries or something?
We get higher prices in over here in the UK, EVERYTHING is more expensive than in the US
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #59
Trustee

I had a brief play with the F350 today. I couldn't make any judgement on the picture as it wasn't hooked up to a monitor. They did have a HD demo playing though which looked pretty nice.

The camera itself is definitely not aimed to compete with the current SD 2/3" models. That much is apparent by the setup options which although they have quite a lot of options did seem more limited than the current cameras. For example the gamma modes were more like the old 570 series, and I get the feeling that the FILM mode means crushed blacks etc rather than something like the Panasonic curves.

The variable framerates cannot be adjusted on the fly. They have to be set before a shot, so no speed ramping. And the framerate that the camera records is shown live in the viewfinder which can make things difficult at lower framerates for things like focussing on the fly. By 'live' I mean that you will see the viewfinder updated at 1fps, 2fps or whatever you set it to, and then on playback it is played at 25fps thus getting the overcrank or undercrank effect. It would have been nice if it could have just captured the frames it needed transparently without affecting the frame update in the viewfinder, but I don't know if this would technically be possible(?)

I hope to be evaluating it in much more detail at some point in the near future.

I would comment on the HVX200. But I'll keep those opinions to myself. although I have posted them on other forums. I thought I'd keep Chris's place clean ;)
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #60
Major Player

I had a play with the 350 at Videoforum yesterday.

Firstly, they are bulkier than I had expected, very similar to a HDW 750.

I thought the image was decent, but not as good as the HDCAM cameras. The best I can describe it is half way between HDV and HDCAM - just like you would expect I guess. There was noticable CA even with a decent Canon HD glass. The Sony rep said it may be from the prism more than the lens.

The camera handles just like any other pro Sony, no suprises. The XDCAM HD system looks good. I like the built in backup aspect, it is a shame the deck's expensive. Could the discs be read in a Blu-Ray drive once they come out? If so it would be very appealling. I can certainly see the camera being very appealing for HD broadcast as long as there is the support for post.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts