Showreel test update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #1
Trustee

Showreel test update

I won't reveal all at the moment since that is for the Showreel article. However we have been shooting a music promo over the weekend for an unsigned band "Project Valkyrie". The video also ties in with The Silencer since we are using the same song as the theme for the movie. You can listen to the song at http://www.projectvalkyrie.co.uk

If you go to the downloads section and select "The Battle For Valhalla" this is the song that the video is for.

Right, on to the important stuff. The camera. I've been messing around with it as much as I can. First and foremost this thing (with an HJ17 2/3" lens at least) is pin sharp. Totally and utterly sharp as a razor, even with the detail circuits turned completely off. If someone makes a Pro35 that fits this thing (and definitely for the F350) it will be the indie moviemakers dream. Power consumption is much lower than my current XDCAM, and the large LCD is great.

I wont say too much more as I don't want to spil things too much. But I will say that this camera rocks. Any drawbacks? One or two. But overall very, very nice.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Good news Simon! Can you reveal if the LCD is high enough rez to get accurate focus? Also, with the 1.37X magnification is the focal view a problem for wide shots?
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sound great Simon. How is the sensitivity with the 2/3" lens?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:16 AM   #4
Trustee

The LCD isn't too good for focus despite being a decent resolution. The only way to ensure the focus with the camera on its own is to use the peaking function in the viewfinder, or even better to use a large high def monitor on set.

The 1.37x magnification wasn't too much of a hinderance. At one point we tried a J11 for a wideshot and it worked out pretty nicely giving an effective focal length of roughly 6.4mm.

Sensitivity with the 2/3" lens seemed fine. However the camera is only rated at f9 and the difference between the 510 and this one is very marked. The adaptor doesn't contain any other optics other than a protective clear piece of glass. I wasn't supplied with a 1/2" lens so I am unable to compare the two.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:35 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Stupid question: is it a separate adapter for HD, or is it the same for SD?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:51 AM   #6
Trustee

Chris, not sure what you mean? The SD XDCAM's are 2/3" natively so they do not require an adaptor.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:16 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Disregard, Simon. I should not have been posting at 3:35am local time!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts