Half Inch Lens Adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 8th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Half Inch Lens Adapters

If you buy a 2/3 to 1/2 inch lens adapter ensure that it has a glass element. Some of the cheaper adapters don't have any glass in them, they simply place the lens at the correct distance from the focal plane so that it will focus correctly.

The glass isn't a lens, it's just an optically flat piece of glass but it is needed to compensate for the different prisms. Without it there will be a small registration error between the R, G and B channels which will show up as slight fringing or image softening.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman
If you buy a 2/3 to 1/2 inch lens adapter ensure that it has a glass element. Some of the cheaper adapters don't have any glass in them, they simply place the lens at the correct distance from the focal plane so that it will focus correctly.

The glass isn't a lens, it's just an optically flat piece of glass but it is needed to compensate for the different prisms. Without it there will be a small registration error between the R, G and B channels which will show up as slight fringing or image softening.

Alister, I assume you have a glass one---what have you found the quality of images shooting 2/3 lens on the camera?
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

May I assume the reverse is true as well... when going from a 1/2" mount on the F330 and F350 up to a 2/3" lens?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Have not tried any decent 2/3 inch lenses yet. As soon as I do I'll let you know.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

For our Texas HD Shooutout we had to resort to a 2/3rd-inch adapter on an F350 that Scott Cantrell brought up from Houston (this was after Mike Devlin had to head home with his F350). Here's a pic. Thought I had a pic of the adapter by itself but I can't seem to locate it right now. Nor can I recall if this adapter had an optical element, but I can easily find that out.
Attached Thumbnails
Half Inch Lens Adapters-lensadapter.jpg  

Old May 16th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #6
Trustee

The adaptor doesn't have an optical element. The focal length of the lens also multiplies by 1.37 with the adaptor attached.

Despite this magnification I would recommend using it with 2/3" lenses over getting 1/2" ones simply because 2/3" lenses will last you longer and allow you to 'upgrade' to a 2/3" HD camera later.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #7
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
The adaptor doesn't have an optical element. The focal length of the lens also multiplies by 1.37 with the adaptor attached.

Despite this magnification I would recommend using it with 2/3" lenses over getting 1/2" ones simply because 2/3" lenses will last you longer and allow you to 'upgrade' to a 2/3" HD camera later.

Which 2/3 inch lens do you like? Chris, which 2/3 lens did you use during the shootout?
Red #97
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
For our Texas HD Shooutout we had to resort to a 2/3rd-inch adapter on an F350 that Scott Cantrell brought up from Houston (this was after Mike Devlin had to head home with his F350). Here's a pic. Thought I had a pic of the adapter by itself but I can't seem to locate it right now. Nor can I recall if this adapter had an optical element, but I can easily find that out.
There was no glass in the adapter, Chris. I was the one who dismantled the camera at the end of the shoot (remember me asking you where the adapter's cover was).

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #9
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
There was no glass in the adapter, Chris. I was the one who dismantled the camera at the end of the shoot (remember me asking you where the adapter's cover was).

-gb-

So guys, how did the XDCAM HD do in the shootout?
Red #97
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

I'm leaving that one for Adam Wilt to answer in his article for DV Magazine. Plenty of other folks who were present for this might have their own input though.

Old May 18th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #11
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston

-gb-
I only know of two adaptor. One made by century optics (schneider) and one by Canon. The adaptor shown on the picture looks exactly like the one sold by Sony (actually made by Canon) which I have. It does have glass. If you are serious about making the f330/350 your prime camera, I would invest in 1/2" CCD lenses (the nice ones wiht doubler). I found the adaptor to be a less than satisfactory solution for the reasons bellow:

- to much loss in angle of view
- to much loss in light sensitivity (at least 1/2 step)
- makes the camera forward heavy because it pushes the lens further forward.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts