24p Output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24p Output

I'm about to start a major multiple year project in 108024p on my 330.

I'm assuming this will do fine re: HD or SD DVD, as Compressor will transform it itno any file I need.

BUT ---

If I ever need to output this for broadcast, will I have trouble doing so in this format?

Is is just a matter of having proper output card on MAC?

Editing system: Final Cut

Thanks ahead of time
BW
Bill Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Telecam Films

You'll be fine... Also, keep in mind that the Sony XDCAM HD decks have built-in frame rate conversion capabilities on the HD-SDI output. A disk shot at 23.98 can be output as 23.98 or 59.94 with pull down. That gives you a choice of project frame rate setting when editing. Note that as far as now, this only applies to editing using the HD-SDI output on the deck. If you edit in FAM mode (MXF file transfer), the frame rate of the transferred clips can only be the one they were originally shot at.

Thierry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver
I'm about to start a major multiple year project in 108024p on my 330.

I'm assuming this will do fine re: HD or SD DVD, as Compressor will transform it itno any file I need.

BUT ---

If I ever need to output this for broadcast, will I have trouble doing so in this format?

Is is just a matter of having proper output card on MAC?

Editing system: Final Cut

Thanks ahead of time
BW
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau
You'll be fine... Also, keep in mind that the Sony XDCAM HD decks have built-in frame rate conversion capabilities on the HD-SDI output. A disk shot at 23.98 can be output as 23.98 or 59.94 with pull down. That gives you a choice of project frame rate setting when editing. Note that as far as now, this only applies to editing using the HD-SDI output on the deck. If you edit in FAM mode (MXF file transfer), the frame rate of the transferred clips can only be the one they were originally shot at.

Thierry.
I will be using FAM mode. So does this mean I look around for a Kona or something like that when time to post?
Bill Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

interesting.... BTW, I have the 330. Doe's the component output do the pull down automaticly on playback in 24p? AND.. when shooting in 24p mode, is it best to use a shutter speed of 48?
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver
I will be using FAM mode. So does this mean I look around for a Kona or something like that when time to post?
Generally, yes. Since you would assumedly be delivery on some flavor of Beta, or HDCAM, or D5, you would be relying on a Decklink or Kona card as an interface to that deck anyway.

Both the Decklink cards and the Konas will do necessary real-time conversions for you to get to most tape formats.
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Jansen
interesting.... BTW, I have the 330. Doe's the component output do the pull down automaticly on playback in 24p?
Yes. All analog component signals are always either 29.97 interlaced, or 59.94 progressive (some Panasonic 720p gear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Jansen
when shooting in 24p mode, is it best to use a shutter speed of 48?
If you're trying to not draw attention to the shutter speed, then yes, 1/48th is the most "normal" shutter speed. Film cameras shooting 24fps generally have that shutter speed as default...and what most of us have seen our entire lives.
Old October 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks Nate!!
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes...

Thanks so much for the great input. I can breathe easier. I am having to make quick decisions on a long range project, which involves a university as well as one of Canada's most beloved wildlife artists. The film feel just seemed to fit the situation perfectly.

Most of this work will be ouput to SD DVD for near future, and FCP treats the 24p very nicely in that conversion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts