Getting or creating lens files - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #16
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Okay, since I have mine working, let's make sure you did everything correctly.

One important thing is that you MUST have the camera powered on as you switch the dip-switch 1 and 4 to ON with all others off. Hopefully you'll make a note as to which ones were on beforehand so you can set them back correctly when you're done.

So after setting swtiches while power is ON, hold the quickzoom and return buttons down for about 6 seconds until the little green led comes on below the dip switches. You've just turned on serial comm.

Set the switches back to their original position and power down the camera.

When you power up, go to the lens file page and turn on Auto Recall. What this will do is ID that lens when attached everytime you power up the camera. You will still need to create your own lens file offsets and store them under the F.ID that is supplied from the camera when it recognizes the lens. Once stored, with auto recall on, the camera upon power up will see that it has lens X attached and will look through its lens files for a matching lens X file. If found, it will automatically recall that file on power up.

The other benefit, as mentioned, is that you now get zoom (percent), and focus (meters) displayed in the VF.

The first time I did it, I didn't have power on when I changed the switches so when I subsequently powered up and held the two buttons on the lens, nothing happened.

Good luck,

-gb-
Thanks for the info Greg. I followed the procedure on a F350 and it does properly recognize the lenses, in my case, Fujinon 5.5x18 and 3.3x13. I wish however that the firmware would have also included specific settings to optimize the supported lenses. Isn't it the all idea of having lens files?

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau
Isn't it the all idea of having lens files?
Yes it is. However, those final tweaks woud be specific to each lens/body combination which is why you have to create your own. Sony has just made it more convenient by allowing the camera to recognize which lens you have attached, and to automatically recall your specific offsets when the camera is powered up.

BTW, I sent you an email regarding your Fujinon lens. Did you get it? Since I sent it through the forum, it might have wound up in a spam filter.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #18
Major Player

Greg- I will try the power-on when selecting the dip switches... Will try on Monday and report results. Thank you
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #19
Major Player

No luck. followed the instructions to the "T" I do see on power-up, lens info at the top of VF but it disappears. NO lens information under the lens file unknown ID
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill
I do see on power-up, lens info at the top of VF but it disappears. NO lens information under the lens file unknown ID
So Steve are you saying that when you first power on the camera, you see the Zoom and Focus information (which BTW can be shut-off in the VF DISP menus) and then it goes away shortly thereafter?

That definitely doesn't sound right. Make sure that your lens mount ring is secure and that you have the rubber boot down on the lower post pressing against the ring. As you know, this lens communicates with the body through the mount, unlike 2/3 lenses which have a dedicated cable.

Other than that, I would be inclined to call Sony or Fujinon. Perhaps a call to your dealer to see if trying a different lens or body resolves the issue so that you know which one is faulty.

-gb-
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #21
Major Player

Greg- That is right. I briefly see the lens focus and zoom settings in the VF now on power-up.. I will check the lens mount again. When I mounted the lens I did see the pin connections like a digital still cameras lens connection to the body. I will try remounting the lens again, and go through the proceedure again.

Questions:

1. What lens do you have?

2.What positions are your dip switches in (default)
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #22
Major Player

NO luck...

I have the the Fujinon HS16x4.BERM-M38 lens which also has the feature of a Z limit switch so you preset the zoom to 2 different positions for a zoom range. I wonder if this option is limiting this communication.
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #23
Wrangler

No, that shouldn't be an issue. BTW, I have the 18x5.5ERD and switches 1,4,5 are on. Very puzzling indeed.

-gb-
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #24
Major Player

1,4,5 are my defaults as well.. I monmentary see the Z50 and 0.0m readouts in the VF on power-up but they disappear in 2 seconds, VF is set to display zoom. LensID Unknown. LensMF Unknown.

What is interesting if I diasable the comm between lens and camera I get no
Z50 and 0.0m readouts on power-up. Fujinon says I have communications, Sony is not displaying it.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill
1,4,5 are my defaults as well.. I monmentary see the Z50 and 0.0m readouts in the VF on power-up but they disappear in 2 seconds, VF is set to display zoom. LensID Unknown. LensMF Unknown.

What is interesting if I diasable the comm between lens and camera I get no
Z50 and 0.0m readouts on power-up. Fujinon says I have communications, Sony is not displaying it.
Just curious, have you updated your camera's firmware yet?

-gb-
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #26
Major Player

Greg- Yes did that last week from the Sony FTP site listed here

Did Sony ever release US version on their web site?
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #27
Major Player

I'm trying to display the zoom and focus information on my cousins PDW-F335. He is using the Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM lens. Done everything just like the PDF document discribes, but no luck.

In the OPERATION menu from the PDW-F335, on page 14 the DISP ZOOM is set to on, and the DISP FOCUS has a little x that can not be changed. When I try to change it, it says: serial lens is not set! In the MAINTENANCE menu, ZOOM SELECT is set to 2 (Fujinon).

ROM version of his F335.
AT: 1.11
Package: 1.93

Anyone else with the XS17x5.5BRM having succes displaying this info in the viewfinder? I read in this post that the XS13x3.3 and HS18x5.5 work. Hmm, strange!

Any ideas?
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #28
Major Player

Ivan, Check your lens manual but just to the left of the REC button on your lens is a row of covered controls. On my XS17x5.5BRM the bottom dip switch should be to the left (ON) position. You may also have to go back to the XDCAM menu to tweek things but my camera reads my lens just fine.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #29
Major Player

Thank you very much Rick!!!

It's working. The lowest dip-switch was set to OFF.

I owe you one for this very quick response. :-)

Thanks again!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #30
Major Player

Outstanding! Glad it worked!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts