24p for documentary? (for DVD release and TV broadcast) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24p for documentary? (for DVD release and TV broadcast)

Hello,

I will be shooting a 50 minute documentary in the near future and am planning to shoot it on 24p because I like the look of it a lot. Until now Iīve just done 24p recording on a Sony HDCAM 900 for digital cinema-screenings, not 24p for TV broadcast yet. How difficult or easy is this process of converting down to DigiBeta (25p) for example. I assume if itīs the HD route, itīs not a problem since HDCAM supports 24p.

Thanks for your help and comments,
Emanuel

Last edited by Emanuel Altenburger; March 9th, 2007 at 05:13 AM. Reason: x
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You won't have any problems. We shoot 24P documentaries on the 350 all the time and archive in that form. We downconvert to DigiBeta for Broadcast with no issues at all.
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks a lot. Thatīs good to hear:-) Cheers!
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Major Player

How are you downlconverting?
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

downconvert

I have a friend/partner who owns an online-edit suite and who has all sorts of toys. Iīve done some downconverts from hdcam to digibeta @ 25p. They were absolutely fine. With 24p I havenīt done any Digibeta downconverts. I thought that it would be best to copy the finished film from an XDCAM HD onto Hdcam (via HD-SDI) to have an HDCAM master and then downconvert from HDCAM to Digibeta. Does this sound possible?
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

We use XDCam HD Discs (1080/24P) for archiving and broadcast Digibeta (PDWF70 SDI out to DigiBeta SDI in). The station broadcasting our stuuf will go HD shortly and then we can deliver HD Quicktimes via Firewire Drive and then to their server.
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts