330 bnc output not outputting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
New Boot

330 bnc output not outputting

Howdy. Has anyone had this problem outputting to a monitor via bnc's? It looks like our red output (Pr) ain't puttin' out. It worked for a while somewhat off and on, then required some jiggling, and now has completely died. Our monitor and our cables have been tested and are fine, so it's definitely the camera.

Called Sony and they want us to send it to their tech center in San Jose, but we're in Bellingham, Washington and would rather not, but....

Anyway, just curious if anyone has had this problem and how they've tackled it?? Thanks--
Erik Dinnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Is it terminated correctly? The composite output gets switched off unless it is correctly terminated, this is done to reduce the cameras power consumption. maybe it is the same for the component output?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Alister, sorry about the slow response. I've never heard of "terminating"--could you let me know what that is? Is it done within the camera menu?

Although, it sounds like that may not be the problem because 2 of the 3 component outputs are sending a signal....
Erik Dinnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Dinnel View Post
Thanks Alister, sorry about the slow response. I've never heard of "terminating"--could you let me know what that is? Is it done within the camera menu?

Although, it sounds like that may not be the problem because 2 of the 3 component outputs are sending a signal....
Terminating is a physical application. Terminator plugs are a resistor that terminates the signal at the proper impedance to avoid signal reflection back through the cable. Terminating resistors are found on many devices including the last disk drive on a daisy chain cable. Some devices have a switch that engages the termination internally so you don't have to use a plug.

So as an example, if you feed the BNC out to a monitor that has a loop through to feed something like another monitor, you have to either attach a device or use a terminating plug.

The reflected signal can cause the camera to not see a current draw from the connector and it shuts off the output to avoid unnecessary power drain.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts