Sony showed off a 35mm sensor camera and a 3D unit - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #76
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin View Post
I was very keen when I first heard about the NEX VG-10, but then I was expecting it to have the same features as the top of the line Canon or Panasonic consumer cameras. When more details came out, I was disappointed that Sony was still building crippled high-end consumer cams. I honestly don't see a market for this camera as I think it's too awkward for amateurs to shoot with, and it lacks most of the features that prosumer shooters want.

I agree completely. It has nothing to do with the AVCHD CODEC and everything to do the rest of the camera. I think the AF-100 is going to be the first AVCCAM camera from Panasonic that will seriously challenge the Sony EX-1 / 3 cameras for non-ENG work. ( the same goes for Canon's new XF 3xx line )

I expect the AF-100 to be a big seller once it's in the stores. I think it will sell so well that Sony and Canon will be forced to release their own equivalent cameras in order to stay competitive, and the prosumer market will be permanently changed for the better.
Yeah, I agree, that's why I was calling the NEG VG-10 a 'prosumer' as opposed to professional
camera. However, maybe it's just a consumer camera.....I haven't done anything more
than look at some of the video it produces, haven't had my hands on one at all.

As for the AF-100, I sincerely HOPE it is a HUGE seller and forces Sony and Canon to release
something similar and the ensuing competition keeps them all producing better and better cameras.
That way, when I DO decide to buy one of them, probably next year sometime, I will get the
most for my money!
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #77
Trustee

I still say using the HMC40 as an example is better than using the HMC150 as an example. The chips matches the EX1r more so than the HMC150 (It's mostly a size difference) and because of that, a codec test would be more accurate.

I was basically agreeing with some that the codec alone doesn't determine quality but at the same time, I was also saying that an HMC40 is better to go against the EX1 than an HMC150.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; November 5th, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #78
Major Player

Well the press announcement date for the 35mm sensored Sony camera has been announced by a reputable film magazine. The date is Wednesday, November 17th. Less than 2 weeks away.

Sony 35mm Mystery Camera Film and Digital Times: Blog

What else is under that shroud?
Attached Thumbnails
Sony showed off a 35mm sensor camera and a 3D unit-a_sonymysterycameraw.jpg  
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #79
Major Player

Just enough resolution to be true 1920x1080p and APS-C sized sensor please.
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #80
Wrangler

Eww... APS-C?

That's like asking for a 1970 Barracuda with a V-6.

(I kid... flame suit on and running.... ;)
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #81
Major Player

Just posted a soon to happen news Q & A from Sony in the UK on their much anticipated 35mm sensored camera, now called the PMW-F3.

You can read the DVinfo post below and it will take you to Sony's related announcement and Facebook page where the Q & A will take place with Sony engineers etc at 10:00 am UTC Monday, November 9th, That's 2am for those in the Pacific time zone.

You want it. Fill your boots.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1585815
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #82
Space Hipster

Thanks, Andrew. Very interesting info. But the links to the F3 aren't working right now.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #83
Major Player

True Glen, true. But there is still a decent read on the webpage itself. And there is the prospect of seeing this Sony chap baked to crisp on Facebook by the would be participants. Actually I don't think that is going to happen because only six people in the entire world know this is going to happen. Sony's gotta smarten up with their internet marketing. It really appears to be quite hamfisted.
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #84
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin View Post
...My predictions for this mysterious "affordable" Sony 35mm sensor camera :

- Price: $20,000+

- Will not ship in 2011
...It looks like one of my predictions has proven accurate ( the $20K+ price ), according to a new post by Philip Bloom:

Sony announces the PMW F3K! | Philip Bloom

It looks like Sony is going after RED ( not Panasonic ) with this new camera. Wow things are changing fast!
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #85
Inner Circle

Sony : PMW-F3K (PMWF3K) : Product Overview : United Kingdom

If it's listed it's going to be shipping in the reasonably near future.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #86
Inner Circle

Personally I'm surprised Sony is giving the entire under $10K market to Panasonic. Maybe they thinks it's a battle they can't win . . .
So they come out with a $20K+ camera using 35mbps MPEG2 4:2:0 Long GOP? Add cost of ConvergentDesigns or AJA attached recorder.

To me it looks like it should be an $8K camera. Does it really have any major serious advantages over the Panny AF1--?
Is this really a competitor to RED? It looks like the "stepped down" camera for those who want "Ease of Use" over RED but that's it.

I am NOT convinced by any of the specs that this camera is $15K better than Panny nor am I convinced this is a RED competitor.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Criag, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. After watching the AF-100 come to light and now seeing this new Sony camera I can not see the $10,000 price difference either.

When Canon puts out a $6,000 50mbps 4:2:2 camera it is a bit strange for Sony to stay with 35mbps 4:2:0 in a new $15,000 camera body that is basically an EX-1r with a large sensor.

As a non-cinema more video oriented shooter I like the idea of an EX-1 shallow DOF companion but not at this price. They have passed me up as a potential buyer.

Strange that Panasonic can find the way to offer basically the same style of camera for 1/3 the price.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #88
Major Player

I won't say too much other than, wait for the U.S. pricing. Once upon a time, (pre release EX-1) I was told
by a Sony rep that the EX-1 would be 'around 6 grand'. So I posted that on various internet forums
and was called 'crazy' because more expensive prices were being 'calculated' with exchange rates and
such. Until we actually find out the US 'street price' I am going to withhold judgement. Remember,
the 'official' MSRP of the EX-1 is $7790 or some such figure as well.....but you can get it from a
Sony dealer for the 'street price' of $6299 which is about $1500 less......
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #89
Trustee

50/ 60p in 720p mode only. Just like my $800 Canon T2i. At least is can do 10bit 4:2:2 out of the SDi socket... but as mentioned, you'll need more equipment to make use of this mojo.

PL lens mount doesn't help the high pricing either,

For $6 K, it'd be a nice camera, but I don't think this will steal away any new potential DSLR buyers, AF100 buyers, or any RED buyers for $20K.

A strange product considering the current market.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #90
Inner Circle

The EX-3, which is interchangeable lens, might be a fair comparison. B&H has is for $8,320. Given the description of the new camera there is no feature or market justification for a price much above $10K. The prices people are claiming have to be WAY OFF or Sony has a DOA product IMHO.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta