Sony showed off a 35mm sensor camera and a 3D unit - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old September 24th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #31
Regular Crew

i am very excited for this camera, though as the panasonic is coming close to release and at a good price, i am interested to see if this will be worth the extra value.

as for the other avenues, i dont think they are dead at all. i am caught because if i go for a big sensor camera, i limit myself to free lance jobs i may want to work on. i have an m2encore and it works well cause if i need to shoot an event, i can take it off and have a video camera, put it on for cinema style work. only downside is the weight and bulkyness of the setup which i would love to get rid of. as a film student, the hdslr route has always looked pleasing by price-image ratio, though i have not been sold on them.

i only hope sony releases information and estimate price before i buy an af100, cause if 7000cdn will be my af100, could be worth it to put the extra for a 35mm sensor. though it is very interesting how the sony rep stressed the word, "eeeaarrlllyyyy" 2011. i really do hope its sooner than their april 2011 estimate, it would make sense for them to push it due to the af100 release.
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #32
Regular Crew

From what I heard or was mentioned at this year's NAB, this 35mm camera is supposed to be released before NAB 2011.
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Sony 35 and Sony 3D | CineTechnica

What's interesting to me is the 35mm unit, which they say will be affordable. I'd love to have an affordable 35mm HD camera, like the F35, but how affordable can it be?

Also, 3D from Sony is very much welcome!

Heath

ps-If someone is already talking about this, sorry! I just saw it moments ago.

Heath,

Is it me or does the 35mm camera on your attached picture look like it lacks the mic holder on the side of the handle? Maybe it's concealed. But, I know there is suppose to be a mic holder. It was there when the camera was shown at NAB 2010.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...shown-nab.html
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

Could be a newer prototype. I hadn't even noticed. If this camera is aimed at the film market and costs a lot more than we're speculating, maybe they won't bother with a mic holder, but I'd wager XLR inputs. That's just pure speculation on my part, of course.

Heath
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #35
Regular Crew

i could have sworn this was shown here, but i guess not. sorry if it was, but here is a lot of footage on the camera, plus, XLR inputs. and also what i was talking about how the sony rep is really pushing early 2011.

MacVideo - Camera Technology - Features - Sony 35mm sensor and 3D camera prototypes on show at IBC 2010
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Very helpful Daniel thank you.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Caruso View Post
i could have sworn this was shown here, but i guess not. sorry if it was, but here is a lot of footage on the camera, plus, XLR inputs. and also what i was talking about how the sony rep is really pushing early 2011.

MacVideo - Camera Technology - Features - Sony 35mm sensor and 3D camera prototypes on show at IBC 2010

I noticed that along with the talk about the new 35mm camera and 3D camera, alot of talk was made about the NEX-VG10. I wonder if Sony is gonna focus on these two new cams, or if they still might also release a pro version of the VG10.
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #38
Trustee

Good link Daniel san.

We'll see what happens when the camera is released. I think the manufacturers have been taken aback at the uptake of DSLRs despite their many flaws, and are still trying to find their way. I do have a feeling though that the EX line may well be affected dramatically by this new camera.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #39
Major Player

Wow. Daniel thanks for the link to the video report. Pretty much seals it for me. I'm waiting for that Sony "film" camera to be released in early 2011 before making another camera purchase. I'll continue to use my Letus for DOF work until then.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #40
Sponsor: MTF Services

Good link Daniel, thanks

It was particularly nice to see Bill Drummond show the VG10 with our PL to E mount adaptor.
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #41
Inner Circle

My crystal ball sees a bifurcation in the market at the $5000-$10,000 end of the market. There will be large sensor interchangeable lens cameras and as well as small 3 chip fixed lens cameras.

The large sensor cameras will serve markets in "planned" production. The small sensor 3 chip cameras will be geared towards run and gun shooting. Of course there's overlap
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #42
Regular Crew

thanks guys, i dont remember where i found it. it was so great to see more of the camera and some talk about it.

i am really hoping the sony will be under 10 000, thats really pushing my funds haha, but if it is might be worth it to wait instead of the af100; ive saved all year and really want to make this purchase worthwhile. if its early 2011, details and price point im hoping will be out at least by november, but who knows.

keep the info coming if anyone finds out something =]
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #43
Inner Circle

I think the Sony 35mm camera shown at IBC will be at the higher end of affordable. Looking closely at it on the stand it was clearly constructed much more like a high end camera like the F35 than an EX. It looked to have an alloy outer body. There were lots of taped over holes and sockets. On the back there was some kind of door that was about the right size to cover two SxS slots. On the left side there is a rotary dial, this looks like the illuminated dial that the EX3 has, so I speculate that this is for frame rate control. The lens on the demo unit was a PL mount lens, but if you asked anyone from Sony they would not confirm that this is what the production unit would have. Interestingly on the top of the camera on the right side, where you would normally find the zoom rocker there was a large taped over hole about the size of a zoom rocker, so could there be planned provision of a zoom rocker? That would be unusual for a PL mount camera.
The word from Sony is that this camera will be out before NAB, possibly very early in the new year. I'm holding fire on any camera purchases until then as I think this will be the camera to get, however I fear it may be out of my price range, especially as I want two for 3D!
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Thanks Alister for the info. This is the camera Sony employees in NYC said would be under $50K. They did not say if it would be body only or what else was included.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
This is the camera Sony employees in NYC said would be under $50K
I find examining the market as interesting as the technology. Given the above, Sony looks to make a competing camera to their F23 meanwhile major network shows examine the use of Canon 5D in their productions (as hobbled as HDSLR is for that function).

I do find it hard to believe (although not impossible) that Sony will cede the market to Panasonic and Canon in the lower budget professional price range. This is especially odd since Sony has the VG10 in the consumer market.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta