DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   First F3 footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/487614-first-f3-footage.html)

Brian Drysdale November 20th, 2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese (Post 1589898)
It's funny, but for some reason this new one isn't my taste. The cinematography for whatever reason doesn't do it for me. No idea why but it doesn't feel as filmic as the others.

Its probably the softer light and perhaps because they used more wide angle lenses. DOF wise it looks like your everyday typical 35mm film.

Giuseppe Pugliese November 20th, 2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1589940)
Its probably the softer light and perhaps because they used more wide angle lenses. DOF wise it looks like your everyday typical 35mm film.

I guess so, its funny, because I found myself analyzing it a bit more than the others. It does have typical 35mm depth so its not the dof, its something about the lens choices or ... I dont know haha. For whatever reason it felt like a different camera shot it. I know thats not the case, (or is it! dun dun DUN... just joshing) but it kinda felt different.

Oh well, just my view points It wasn't really a negative thing, it just for whatever reason felt different to me. Any info on the lenses used?

EDIT: after watching it again, I know what bothers me, on the wide shots the dof is just too much, I'd like it a bit more shallow. Because the CU's are wonderful and have a good amount of dof (not overkill like some DSLR stuff) but then when it cuts between the wides, it just seems flat.

I do like their story idea though, you can see it was specifically written to show off what the camera can do with all different types of lighting.

Brian Drysdale November 20th, 2010 06:10 AM

Wide shots using short focal length lens do tend to have a large DOF, even with the lens wide open at f1.4 it can cover several feet either side focused at say 10 feet on a 25mm (which isn't that wide).

Giuseppe Pugliese November 20th, 2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1589969)
Wide shots using short focal length lens do tend to have a large DOF, even with the lens wide open at f1.4 it can cover several feet either side focused at say 10 feet on a 25mm (which isn't that wide).

Well this I know, but the lens that was used wasn't that wide, I can see they were stopping down a bit. maybe to use more of a sweet spot on the lens, or maybe the lens was only a T4 and they stopped down a little more or something. It just seemed a bit too much for me, thats all I'm saying. Its an aesthetic thing, thats all. It felt too much of a jump for me between the CUs and the wides, the dof felt a little too inconsistent.

I think I'm now diving to deep into this, it was just a side note thats all. If someone else sees what I'm saying maybe they'll get it too.

Brian Drysdale November 20th, 2010 06:42 AM

Keeping things consistent is always a problem and needs to be worked at.

Yes, I did notice the much softer background in the CUs than you'd expect given the nature of the wide shots.

Giuseppe Pugliese November 21st, 2010 02:16 AM

yeah exactly, I think thats what had me going.

On a lighter note, I really cant wait to see more footage trickle down the pipeline. I got my hands on some raw footage which is nice to play with, but now I'm loving what others are doing with the camera so far.

Erik Phairas November 22nd, 2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1589244)
I have some raw footage straight from the PMW-F3 available for download. It's a zipped BPAV folder with 24fps MP4's.

Chris... feel free to host the zip file yourself. Just give me a credit for providing it.

XDCAM-USER.com PMW-F3 Raw Footage.

I put that on a timeline to compare to the EX3. Very nice. Super clean, colorful, and sharp. Makes the EX3 video look hideous.. :)

Dominik Krol November 23rd, 2010 07:57 PM

I don't know if it's the grading, but I'm not very impressed by the look of the footage.. It looks very 5Dish to me, and I very much dislike the "Canon look", especially on the skintones. They are either harch or very soft, Like it's trying to give some sharpness/detail in processing thats not captured by the sensor.

My EX1 looks much more organic. Skins can be detailed and pleaseant at the same time. Again this might be a post issue.

Giuseppe Pugliese November 23rd, 2010 10:53 PM

I believe its a post issue, also there are a few videos that are just way too video looking for my taste, but all you really need to do is look at the first film from convergence to realize its the DP behind it that makes this camera shine, just like any other.

You put a good man behind the camera and you'll get good footage, cameras don't shoot and color themselves.

Alister Chapman November 24th, 2010 03:04 PM

I watched the UK shot promo projected at 4K in the Norwegian Film Institute Cinema in Oslo on Tuesday. All I can say is Wow! It looked wonderful overall although I did spot a few slight artefacts in highly saturated reds, which look like typical 4:2:0 sampling artefacts. Overall is was just about impossible to tell this short from the short used to promote the SRW9000 which was shown about an hour earlier.

Can't wait to get mine!

Erik Phairas November 27th, 2010 03:28 PM

Just a test but here is another sample, it's linked as a download only. 5D vs the F3.

fxguide quick takes F3 vs 5D MkII

http://www.fxguide.com/qt/wp-content...F3_H264s31.mov

Erik Phairas December 3rd, 2010 09:45 AM

Two more samples...

These two go together
It's called Model on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oTRS0o3nCg

This is a separate short

pics from the shoot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5661256...7625513616824/

Erik Phairas December 3rd, 2010 10:36 AM

This is actually 9 days old. I haven't seen anyone post it. How come you guys aren't out looking for video like me? :)

This is the making of the Red Ballon short. You can see lots of nice shots of the camera on set and they sprinkle a few in camera shots as well.

Erik Phairas December 9th, 2010 08:35 PM

Another short shot with an F3.

Erik Phairas December 10th, 2010 10:30 PM