Are HDMI out and SDI out working simultaneously? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old February 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #46
Major Player

Any word at all of 10bit HDMI??
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I have an email into Sony about that
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Nigel

in the picture you posted i see S-Log and 4:4:4 RGB
so i think it's the paid firmware they already mentioned and not a free update to allow more output options
...well i hope not !
Tony Partamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #49
Regular Crew

I noticed that . On page 109 of the manual it talks about the dual link being separated into 1.5 G SDI before that Sony upgrade. I checked with Sony and they said that is how it should work. They said HDMI works simultaneously as well, but I want to check again, because it doesn't read that way in the manual.

Things are moving very quickly and as the cameras are being released not sure what version of firmware is going to be loaded.

I should have mine tomorrow, so I'll have a better idea then
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Heard an update today that the HDMI and SDI will work simultaneously after a firmware update in April. Also, the dual link split into 2, 1.5 g sdi signals will not work in 1920 23.98. with firmware v1. UGGGG. Just tested it out. So far my Nano seems to be the best solution for HDMI and SDI at the same time, but there is a short lag, and will have to get a TC transmitter to get TC on monitors for logging. The work around continues.
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #51
Major Player

Nigel, try setting your nano to "E to E" mode. I use E to E for Steadicam work. Works like a charm. No lag.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Thanks Andrew. I ended up trying that and it worked well with my Cineroid :)
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #53
Major Player

Nigel, question. Slightly off topic but people in this thread will be interested...

I recall, you have used the SmallHD on an F3, now the Cineroid and probably some other sized monitors. What do you feel are the best routes to go with outboard monitoring in terms of size of monitor, maybe brand and if the Cineroid is ready for primetime and do you think it is a valuable secondary monitoring source to an external monitor?

I recall hearing somewhere the Cineroid's diopter size magnifies larger than what most are accustomed to in an EVF. What's your take?

EDIT:

Nigel, you mentioned elsewhere about on-screen timecode for logging. I just thought of something that might work. Solution isn't cheap and it is dependent on how Sony has implemented the on-screen data.

AJA makes this 3/1.5G to HD-SDI down-converter. It's about a 1000 bucks...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555774-REG/AJA_3GM_3GM_3G_1_5G_HD_SDI_Multiplexer.html

If you can get the on-screen data to come up on the HD-SDI port but not on the 1.5G port then you can do your logging with the HD-SDI monitoring and the outboard recording on the other.

Last edited by Andrew Stone; February 19th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Andrew

I'm impressed with how sharp the Cineroid is. At 3.2 inches its a little small, but it could be used as an outboard monitor, but its basically the same size as the LCD on the F3. Being able to drop the diopter on and see closer is nice but if your not handheld I would much rather have a larger monitor on the camera. The EVF does have its plastic feel in construction, but has lots of features. I think it could be very handy on a DSLR as an external monitor, and you can loop through to send to a director. I just got the Cineroid last week, and I have a big multi camera shoot for GM next week where we are using a mixture of F3 and 5D's. This will be our big test for the Cineroid and mixing the other cameras.

I have a Small HD 5.6 with SDI loop through. I really like this monitor. Its compact design is well thought out, especially how the batteries mount, the snap on screen protector, and the sun shade. Its light and has a small footprint. The guys are very responsive to improvements in firmware, and they are adding new features.

I also have a Panasonic 7.9 and 17" HD monitors. The broadcast ones. The 7.9 is very heavy and only SDI, no HDMI. Its always been very big on my other cameras. In studio situations, or controlled sets its fine, but for quick stuff or travel I've never liked hauling it around.

I did see the new Sony 7" OLED and its great. Around the same price point of the Panasonic, which is now a few years old, and more options. But still is very heavy. I believe there's a 5.6 coming out from TV Logic that's similar to the Small HD but has a waveform. Small HD is looking into the waveform option so I'm not worried.

I've looked at those AJA converters, but Audio Services in Toronto has a line of TC transmitter/receivers called Scriptlinc. I believe there around $500 for it, but don't quote me. I'm hoping to test it next week. It should just hook up to TC out of the F3, and TC in on my 17" Panasonic. (So I'm told)

The only issue with the 1.5 g port is that it will only work in 59.94. Not in 23.98. So it would be back to on output on the camera until firmware in April
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta