DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   F3 rig for ENG/EFP style work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/489473-f3-rig-eng-efp-style-work.html)

Thierry Humeau December 29th, 2010 11:59 AM

F3 rig for ENG/EFP style work

Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple, light and compact F3 rig for ENG/EFP style shooting? I am thinking about a simple plate with short rails, a couple handles and a compact shoulder pad. Also, I am wondering if there is an opportunity to built a viewfinder adaptor (aka EX3) that would fit on the LCD and allow for most of the F3 body weight to sit on the cameraman's shoulder.

Jim Tittle December 29th, 2010 12:53 PM

I'm looking for solution to the same problem. Short rails, shoulder pad, counter balance battery plate, quick mount to tripod, easy to store. Price $400-$800. Is anybody working on one?

Andrew Stone December 30th, 2010 09:40 PM

You will be hard pressed to find a general rails solution for that price range although probably a couple of people will build a rails/baseplate/shoulder mount solution specifically for the F3 and you will see it advertised here, no doubt.

There is the Hoodman Loupe for the EX1 that should work without modfiication but the LCD screen is so far back that you will have to put a rails shoulder device on the camera to make it truly comfortable to use for any length of time...

EX KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation

Alister Chapman December 31st, 2010 06:51 AM

I think Genus are looking at a new camera plate that will allow their DSLR shoulder mount to be used with the F3.

Genus Shoulder Mount System - Genus Video and DSLR products

Doug Jensen December 31st, 2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1603206)
There is the Hoodman Loupe for the EX1 that should work without modfiication

I've already tried the Hoodman Loupe with an F3 and it didn't work. If you compare the design of an EX1 to an F3, you'll notice that the LCD is in an entirely different position. That difference is enough to make the Hoodman unusable on the F3. However, I'm sure Hoodman and other manufacturers will design something that will work comfortably.

Thierry Humeau December 31st, 2010 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It would be great to see a sturdy, clip-on LCD viewfinder adaptor that could be flipped in and out like the PMW-350 color viewfinder (see attached pic). When running and gunning with a wide lens, I prefer to look at the LCD but when on the sticks or when using longer lenses, I'd want to be more precise and look at my shots through a good viewfinder. I don't like the Hoodman design because it does not allow that kind of flexibility.

This would fall right within Zacuto's capability. Their Z-Finder product is excellent and very well made.

T.

Steve Kalle January 2nd, 2011 07:34 PM

Not many people recommend them due to cost, but the Zacuto 'Newsman' rig is great. I am waiting for my Zacuto rig to arrive this week but I added a few extra pieces to the back to hold V-mount batteries and wireless receivers in addition to a Varizoom zoom controller. With an EX3 and Dedo LEDzilla, 2 wireless receivers and an 88whr battery, the rig is almost perfectly balanced. Plus, the Zacuto has a lifetime warranty and really should be considered an investment because it will outlast all other video gear, not to mention that it holds resale value better than other video gear.

Ola Christoffersson January 3rd, 2011 04:30 PM

Steve - I've been looking at that. Do you know if the "zoffset" is fixed in a position or if the offset hight and sideshift can be adjusted? The Zacuto website is not clear on that.

Steve Kalle January 3rd, 2011 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ola,

Are you looking to use the Offset? If so, it appears that only the height is adjustable; however, adjusting the height slightly adjusts the length. I think this is the best picture of the zoffset.

Henry Epstein January 3rd, 2011 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This looks wonderful!

Creative Video - Features Sony PMW-F3 review

Ryan Hollings January 3rd, 2011 07:21 PM

nevermind, read the article. doh.

Brian Drysdale January 4th, 2011 03:41 AM

That particular rig set up looks rather front heavy. Moving the V/F plus the shoulder pad a bit further forward would improve the balance.

Don Parrish January 4th, 2011 06:52 AM

With all due respect, I do not know if I would be brave enough to run and gun with this thing. I am not sure that it would fit my personal opinion of an ENG camera. From the discussions, focusing this thing correctly is a task, VF is to small and LCD not sufficient for quick focus. Add to that it's very shallow DOF and it would be at the bottom of my list. And then there is the pricing, it is 13k without glass and other options, with glass it is approaching the price of some pretty nice fully equipped ready to shoot cameras.

Tony Partamian January 4th, 2011 02:32 PM

It's strange that CREATIVE VIDEO did the test 5 days ago and they still didn't know that the kit lenses with the F3 are all PL mount and not F mount as they stated in the review.
Don't they read the net??

Nate Weaver January 5th, 2011 02:02 AM

That in no way is a handheld rig, not with an Optimo 15-40 built like that. I suspect he put the shoulder pad on for yucks, but never intended to actually shoulder it like that. Same with the O'Connor ogrips up front.

I saw that eyepiece at an AF100 demo last week, and immediately thought of it for the F3 for handheld.

Handheld with this thing is gonna be awkward. Not many lenses are going to encourage "supporting the whole camera in front of you while using the rear eyepiece" method.