F3 user manual now available at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old February 10th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Major Player

F3 user manual now available

Download it here: https://tumediacomm.freshdesk.com/su...eration-manual
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Lens Files

Now, I was aware that the camera would support lens data to be recorded with the clips for certain Arri and Cooke primes, but what is news to me are the Lens Files the manual describes.

Did anyone see this?

Apparently you'll be able to store up to 32 data files in the camera memory (and 64 per SxS card) that define lens characteristics such as Flare and white balance shifts - inherent to the lens. It would seem the camera would then compensate for these characteristics.

If this works the way I'm thinking, I foresee an entire community just for exchanging lens profile files, like we did for Color Profiles with the EX cameras.
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, that's what struck me as new as well. Could anybody with the knowledge explain terms such as "white flare" etc.
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Wrangler

Most Sony broadcast cams have "Lens Files" and the ability to create/edit/read/write them.

My PDW-F350 that I bought in 2006 had the ability, but the camera only had lens files built in for what was the very small selection of new 1/2" B4 mount lenses at the time...so maybe 6 lenses total, 2 or 3 new lenses from Fuji, and 2 or 3 new lenses from Canon. You were out of luck if you were putting a 2/3" lens on via adapter.

But then you could attempt to make your own lens file, and there were cursory instructions. If I recall, you needed access to a waveform monitor and maybe even a vectorscope. I think the most basic thing you could do was profile a lens for light falloff to the corners of the frame. That was easy, if I remember right, all you needed was a white card. There were more involved corrections, but I can't recall what they corrected or how they were done. What I do remember was that this was all in the service manual for the cam, not the regular manual.

The extent of the corrections escapes me. I seem to remember that chromatic aberration (magenta/green edges) correction like the newer Panasonics do was not part of the processing/corrections available.
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: F3 user manual now available

Hi does any one know anything at all about Sony bringing out a servo lense for the F3?
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Major Player

New manual available on the UK Sony site. Some interesting new additions like S-Log, Network, Metadata, WiFi, and more.

Sony : PMW-F3K (PMWF3K) : Manuals : United Kingdom
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Acording to creative video there should be a servo lens for the F3 about emerge sometime this month

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta