DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   How Will You Use Your F3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/491729-how-will-you-use-your-f3.html)

Steve Kalle February 14th, 2011 02:52 AM

How Will You Use Your F3?

What areas do you plan to use your F3: TVCs, indie, corporate, weddings, event, ENG, etc...

Which lenses will you use: Nikon, Zeiss, Sony 'F', Sony Alpha...?

Dean Harrington February 14th, 2011 07:15 AM

F3 ...

The camera is going to generate a whole host of uses from weddings, documentaries, corporate to TV commercials. ENG event shooters and such are not going to find a use for this camera as of yet. When the X14 lens comes out a few might invest for that purpose but a X14 is not going to cut it in that field ... you would need a X18 lens at least to make it marketable. If I go with this camera and that's a big IF at the moment, I would keep my EX3 for ENG related purposes. It has more uses in multiple areas of work.

Brian Drysdale February 14th, 2011 07:56 AM

Once you start using the bigger zoom ranges, the larger the lens is going to become. So, to keep the lens size down to something that's practical for ENG or event work probably you'll need to limit the max aperture, which could mean that you could roughly have the same DOF as a f2 zoom lens on a 2/3" camera.

There are all sorts of trade offs when selecting a camera.

Michael Carmine February 14th, 2011 08:47 AM

Uses of F3

I will be using the camera for visual effects shots and 2nd Unit work for prime-time TV in the USA. I will go with the Nano or Ki pro mini. The studio will want the 10-bit for the smoother compositing but I like the size of the 8-bit recorder. I hope to put this camera to work before the 2010/2011 season ends in April. I am coming from 35mm film but the network just won't pay for the transfers anymore. Short sighted, because the shows I work on have a 20 year re-run life all over the world. My problem is I need to put all the parts together and test and have "sea trials" before a real shoot. The s-log is what I am really excited about for feature work and the TV producers who want quality.

Alister Chapman February 14th, 2011 09:06 AM

I'm going to be using mine for my extreme weather shoots, filming natural extremes etc. I'm not after the sensationalist "as close as you can get to a tornado" type shots, but more interested in the beauty and awe that mother nature can sometimes present, so nice, stable tripod shots, wide vistas and dramatic skyscapes.

I will also be working on some aviation history projects and a BBC natural history project and hope to use it for these. I will be using it with a NanoFlash most of the time.

If that isn't enough I have a 3D feature in the pipelines and a couple of 3D docs and the plan is to use a pair of F3's on one of my hurricane-rigs.

Lenses will often be Nikon DSLR lenses with higher end PL glass rented in as appropriate.

Still hanging on to my EX1R for run and gun.

Michael Carmine February 14th, 2011 09:44 AM

I will use my Zeiss Super-Speed pl lens, 20-35 Canon pl-mount zoom, 200mm Leitz pl-mount, 300mm Century. Would be interested in the small light weight zoom from Sony 17-50? I will not sell my 35mm Arri or the Canon 7D. I have sold my Aaton a-minima and Canon 5Dm2 to raise cash for F3.

Chuck Fishbein February 14th, 2011 10:55 PM

I'll be using it mostly for documentary and stock footage projects. I think the lower light capabilities will be handy in a recording studio and city streets at night or dusk. After seeing some of the early tests projected on a large screen, I was sold. I like that I'll be able to get a high end look from the camera, as well as being able to match it with the 2 EX cameras I already own.

I most often work as a one-man operation and I think the size of the camera and the fact that I'll be able to utilize a large collection of fast Nikon glass, that I already own, will be a winning combo. And I too, will be using it with a Nanoflash for now. Being able to carry a camera, tripod and a bag of lenses without a donkey is an asset.

Considering the difficulties I have had with the EX1 and Ex1R in bright light, I've already lined up for a Zacuto EVF.

Finally, I won't be concerning myself with S-Log for the time being, but it's nice to know it'll be there for future projects.

Crazy Duck Productions!

Erik Phairas February 14th, 2011 11:26 PM

If I get one I'll be making the same old crap I always make. Dune videos and fan films. Probably wind up getting the NXcam if it comes close enough to the F3.

Timur Civan February 19th, 2011 07:36 PM

Narritive films, Music Videos, Television Episodics and Corporate Video.

I bought a Full set of 6 Cooke iPanchros 18 - 100mm, Cooke Varotal 18-100 T3 Zoom and a Duclos 11-16mm T2.8

Based in NYC if anyone is interested in rentals or testing.

Giuseppe Pugliese February 22nd, 2011 01:12 PM

Re: How Will You Use Your F3?

Mostly narrative, feature films, music videos, short films, commercials, some tv work, maybe some sitdown celebrity interviews.

Thierry Humeau February 22nd, 2011 09:43 PM

ENG, Docos and News Mags. Most of this being currently shot on 5D or XDCAM HD & EX. The only step back I see with the F3 vs the 5D is a loss of shallow depth of field capability but other than that, everything else should be much more cameraman friendly.

Thierry.

Timur Civan February 23rd, 2011 12:36 AM

The dof loss is not as much as you think.....

Even w/ my T2.8 lenses the dof is plenty shallow.

David C. Williams February 23rd, 2011 01:18 AM

Exactly, basically a one stop difference. Run T1.4 on it and listen to your AC curse :D