DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   power supply also a charger? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/491873-power-supply-also-charger.html)

Leonard Levy February 16th, 2011 09:48 PM

power supply also a charger?

I notice the F3 doesn't come with a battery, but I assume it does have an AC power supply. Is this the same as with the EX-1 doubling as a charger?

Also is the power drain the same as the EX-1?

Doug Jensen February 16th, 2011 10:08 PM

The F3 does not come with an AC adapter.
The power consumption of the F3 is between 18-24 watts depending on what options you have turned on. The dual-link output, running the LCD and viewfinder simultaneously, etc. all add to the power requirements.
The EX1R, on the other hand, draws about 12-13 watts.

So, the F3 uses 50%-90% more power.

Andrew Stone February 16th, 2011 10:13 PM

Hi Leonard,

You would have to get something like this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/438820-REG/Switronix_SPU_4_SPU_4_Compact_Power_Supply.html

...to run it off AC power.

Leonard Levy February 18th, 2011 01:29 AM

They sell it without a battery or an AC adapter! Sounds ridiculous to me.
Is that normal for a higher end camera is it just Sony being Sony.
Can you use an EX-1 power supply or does it run off standard 12V 4 pin XLR?

Will my ancient AC500 do the trick then?

Alister Chapman February 18th, 2011 03:32 AM

It's normal for high end cameras to be supplied without any batteries and charger. Different people will want to use different power options. Many users of the F3 will probably use V-Lock or Anton Bauer. Not every one will use the BP-U60's

David C. Williams February 18th, 2011 04:12 AM

Indeed, anybody seen a 15mm rail mount v-lock to xlr that would suit the F3?

Jim Tittle February 18th, 2011 08:49 AM

Look at the AJA Ki Pro Mini website. Ki Pro rod plates ($269 for a pair),
hold a mounting plate with a V-mount attached. You could use this setup for power only, or get two mounting plates and add a Ki Pro Mini.

Ryan Hollings February 18th, 2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1619382)
Indeed, anybody seen a 15mm rail mount v-lock to xlr that would suit the F3?

I am using this:

microBalance Plus

with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242075-REG/IDX_C_EB_XLR_C_EBXLR_V_Mount_Plate_with.html

Bruce Schultz February 18th, 2011 06:10 PM

[quote=Ryan Hollings;1619451]I am using this:

microBalance Plus

I really like that it holds things below the rods assembly. Do you know of a 19mm version of this?

Ola Christoffersson February 20th, 2011 05:15 AM

Would the charger supply enough power to power the F3? In that case all you'd have to do is replace the small plug on the charger with a large power plug for the F3.

Dave Sperling February 20th, 2011 09:37 AM

The BC-U1 charger I have has a listed max output of 2 amps, which makes it very close to the power draw of the F3 if you have lots of things (all your outputs) turned on -- a little too close for comfort in my thinking.

Perhaps Doug J could test it, and if I'm wrong and it works properly, Vortex Media could come up with an opposite gender cable adapter (the opposite of their current EXDC1 power cable)?

Ed Roo February 20th, 2011 11:43 AM

Typical battery charging current is 0.1c.
In plain English, that means 1/10th of the rated battery capacity.
For example, if a battery is rated at 1 AHr, the typical charge current would be 0.1 A (100 mA).
Hence a battery charger is a regulated device, either a constant current, constant voltage or both.
(A depleted battery will have a low voltage and draw a high current. As the battery charges, the current drawn is reduced and the voltage rises.)

A power supply will usually provide a regulate constant voltage and allow the current to float up or down depending on the demand. (The power supply will provide up to its rated output.)

Ola Christoffersson February 20th, 2011 01:47 PM

The BC-U1 and -U2 are not only chargers. They double as power supplies for the EX1 and EX3 so using them to power the F3 is not so far fetched in my opinion.

Leonard Levy February 20th, 2011 10:04 PM

Re: power supply also a charger?

Seems if it were that easy wouldn't Sony have provided it with a 4 pin . Of course never try to second guess Sony marketing.

Andrew Stone February 21st, 2011 12:49 PM

Re: power supply also a charger?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson (Post 1620160)
The BC-U1 and -U2 are not only chargers. They double as power supplies for the EX1 and EX3 so using them to power the F3 is not so far fetched in my opinion.

Hi Ola, as Dave said the charger in power supply mode outputs 2 amps. That translates into 24 watts. This is what the camera draws. There is no margin so I would agree with David that it isn't suitable.

I mentioned above that Switronic sells a power adapter which B&H sells for just under $100 USD. It is rated at 5 amps so you could safely throw 50 to 70 watts of stuff at it which should cover off accessories including an eye light on the camera.