Baseplate - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Baseplate

I had a few base plates before and finally settled for the Zacuto V3. Used it for various cameras along the way. I'm sure the F3 will fit nicely too
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Zacuto V3 Universal baseplate is working like a charm on my F3. I spent the extra $30 to get the extra slide - so I'm bolted to both mount points on the bottom of the camera.
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The lens is a Tokina 28-70 ATX-Pro Mk1 (Anginieux design), so it doesn't telescope like many DSLR zooms. The front of the lens doesn't rotate. I could get the rail mount for the Matte Box but it's not necessary for this set up. I have adapter rings for all my lenses. For lenses with a front dia greater than 105mm I would probably look at a TLS Raven matte box. I do have dealings with TLS, so I'm not un-biased, but then I work with TLS because of their high quality standards.
Old May 14th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Houk View Post
Zacuto V3 Universal baseplate is working like a charm on my F3. I spent the extra $30 to get the extra slide - so I'm bolted to both mount points on the bottom of the camera.
I recently purchased the aforementioned baseplate and extra slides for my F3, and have found that lining up the slides with the camera's 3/8 inch mounting holes to be a real challenge. I am considering the purchase of # 2 1/4 inch 20 screws to lock down the slides in some permanent fashion after they have been properly aligned. Have you come up with some other workable method?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #20
Trustee

Add me to the list of very satisfied Zacuto Baseplate owners. Although, I bought mine as part of their Newsman Shoulder rig and added a few extra Zacuto pieces: Red Plate, Double Mount, V-mount plate, Wireless Plate and two or three other pieces.

One thing I noticed when researching Zacuto parts is that not many people are selling used parts and for those who do sell their Zacuto gear, they are able to get very high resale value.

Disclaimer: even though I'm in Chicago, I have no association with Zacuto. I wish that I did because their gear costs a pretty penny ;)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #21
Trustee

I have found this to be a bit of a problem also. Never loved the Zacuto because it seemed overpriced and didn't neccessarily fit my needs.

I've been using an old out of date rods system from Shoot 35 (left over from my first SG 35mm adapter) and have been hoping Wayne will update it so it works with his new rods system. This works pretty well but has some minor issues and I wouldn't mind a more up to date system.

The main thing for me is that I like to have my camera on a Giotto sliding base plate very similar to the Manfrotto. I've got a half dozen of these things for different cameras and keep them on different tripods and heads with a monopod or slider so its all modular and I can switch from one to the other quickly. For example I have a second short set of rods with another shoot 35base plate for handheld work off a monopod that doesn't need a mattebox but can use a FF. Or can go without anything but the camera on the monopod.

I should try and see how the Zacuto works with the Giotto plate but it looks to me like it might get in the way of the tightening screw on the Giotto. Meanwhile the system does work though I have to be careful to tighten the Giotto well.

I'll post pics soon.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #22
Major Player

[QUOTE=Thierry Humeau;1623666]I got Vocas's Pro Rail Support #0350-0600. Not cheap but it is superbly designed and manufactured I really like the double sliding plate and the latches. Very easy and quick to rebalanced. See pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/telecam...ilmsWVocasRig#

Thierry.[/QUOTE

I have a Vocia MB450 with swingaway, but because it uses 5.65 x 5.65 filters I can slide it along the rails. I'm using the Zacuto DSLR baseplate but 's a bit small.

How do go with that clip-on Vocas mattebox Thierry? I couldn't stand having to pull it off every time I changed a lens.
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #23
Major Player

Hello,

Just wondering if there are any suggestions for a good F3 baseplate that takes advantage of both mounting holes other than the Zacuto Universal? I have a V3 with the extra slides which, although a wonderfully made product, I am returning. My shooting needs do not necessitate a matt box and I have found quick installation of the V3 to be nearly impossible due to movement of the slides during the installation process.

Therefore, just searching for a simple plate (no rods) to reinforce the base of the camera and to aide in tripod attachment.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Berkey System F3 Baseplate

I was at an F3 demo a while ago and saw a baseplate that I liked. The dealer put me in touch with Brian Berkey, who's based here in Minneapolis. Sony PMW-F3 Accessories | | Berkey System

This guy's been building motion control rigs for years, and recently started making a line of camera accessories. His F3 baseplate assembly is incredibly well-made, adjustable and rock-solid. And, it can be completely disassembled in a few minutes, using an allen wrench.

It has screw holes that match the F3's front and off-center rear holes, as well as a removable locating pin. Once the camera is attached, it won't budge.

I've had mine for a month now, and I like it a lot. Here are some pix--top plate is removed in one, so you can see the assembly, and how it goes together. The bottom cheese plate on mine is mounted forward, to balance the rig I'm using. But it can be moved anywhere, because there are lots of holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Baseplate-berk-plat_1.jpg   Baseplate-berk-plate-2.jpg  

Baseplate-berk-plate-3.jpg   Baseplate-berk-plate-4.jpg  

Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #25
Major Player

I discovered the Berkey Systems stuff only about a month ago. If you use rails systems with your camera, you definitely want to check out their site.

First time I have seen an outfit that truly gets what camera and grip people need to create an effective rails unit.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I know what you're saying. Berkey's stuff is very grip-friendly. Not surprising, when you look at the rigs he's made for motion control and effects--check this out: EFX Gallery | Berkey System
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #27
Major Player

Very nice baseplate. Best I've seen. I'm ordering one NOW!
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #28
Telecam Films

[quote=Peter Corbett;1649243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
I got Vocas's Pro Rail Support #0350-0600. Not cheap but it is superbly designed and manufactured I really like the double sliding plate and the latches. Very easy and quick to rebalanced. See pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/telecam...ilmsWVocasRig#

Thierry.[/QUOTE

I have a Vocia MB450 with swingaway, but because it uses 5.65 x 5.65 filters I can slide it along the rails. I'm using the Zacuto DSLR baseplate but 's a bit small.

How do go with that clip-on Vocas mattebox Thierry? I couldn't stand having to pull it off every time I changed a lens.
Pete,

The clip-on mechanism is so well designed and so easy to operate that as long as your lenses all have the same front diameter, removing the mattebox literally just takes a second. I also have rail supports for the MB-255 so I can slide it on and off the rails. Vocas also makes a swing away optional attachment which I don't have yet.

Best,

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:14 PM   #29
Major Player

I just got my baseplate from Berkey Systems. Incredible quality, very solid. I can't imagine a better baseplate if you need to use a rails system. Very glad I saw it posted here. Thanks!
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM   #30
Major Player

Yes I'm also looking closely at the Berkey. It looks way more configurable than the Zacuto.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta