DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   LCD green tint (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/493312-lcd-green-tint.html)

Bruce Schultz March 19th, 2011 10:57 AM

LCD green tint

One of the first things I noticed when I first started looking at my F3 was the slight green tint that the factory settings delivered. The fix for that was pretty simple once the camera was pointed at a DSC chart and hooked up to a vectorscope.

However, the LCD is still a bit too green in it's picture display for my taste. I've plowed around the menus as much as I can but it appears that there is no (easy) way to adjust the LCD color display.

Anyone have any suggestions? I always output to an external monitor, either a Panasonic 8" or ECinema display, but having a more accurate color rendition on the camera LCD would be very helpful indeed.

Andrew Stone March 19th, 2011 03:26 PM

Re: LCD green tint

Alister had a simple fix for this. Can't remember off the top of my head what the fix was. Although his fix was to reduce minus some green out of the captured image, not the LCD per se.

Nate Weaver March 19th, 2011 05:59 PM

Rose-colored glasses will fix it.

Bruce Schultz March 20th, 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1629539)
his fix was to reduce minus some green out of the captured image, not the LCD per se.

Yes, we did this initially and the camera looks much better when you adjust the green down in the matix. However, although that makes external monitors through the HDSDI output look proper, it doesn't have the same effect on the internal camera LCD for some reason. As the matrix fix is very minor, the LCD doesn't seem to reflect the change as accurately as external monitors do.

And as for rose colored glasses, I'd rather wear them at a Panasonic camera love fest. . .

Philipp Eierund March 25th, 2011 06:42 PM

I'd love for you guys to elaborate how to use a DSC chart and vector scope to correctly adjust the picture profile for the F3! :)

Nate Weaver March 25th, 2011 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipp Eierund (Post 1631703)
I'd love for you guys to elaborate how to use a DSC chart and vector scope to correctly adjust the picture profile for the F3! :)

Well, this has nothing to do with dialing out the green on the camera LCD, but I'll bite.

What you're asking is pretty easy. It's kinda the point of the DSC charts. The simple DSC charts have 6 colors (Red, Green Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) and the task is to use the camera's matrix menu settings to get the 6 dots the chart will create on the vectorscope to land within the targets for those colors on the vectorscope's reticule. You use the R-G, R-B, G-R, etc etc matrix items to do this.

The DSC 12 color charts go a step further, and create dots BETWEEN the 6 major targets, so you can see what the camera is doing for the finer shades along the way.

I am trying to get my hands on a DSC 12 color chart so I can straighten out the stock Sony matrix setting, which I am not a fan of. I also want to get said chart in front of an Arri Alexa, so I can match the F3 to the Alexa in Rec709 mode and get it on as a B camera on Alexa jobs, which there are a metric crap ton of in my area. I'd buy one, but it's a little hard to swallow $380 dollars for something I'll use for one day.(the small, front box 12+4 ChromaDuMonde is $380ish). You can get cheaper if you can live with the base 6 colors.

For extra credit, once I get a stock F3 aligned to the Alexa, I want to create a LUT to use in post to match Sony S-Log material to Alexa LogC material, after that LogC LUT has been applied. No end to what I will do to generate rentals, I guess :-).

Below is an pic Ben Cain (Negative Spaces - Ben Cain) made of a 24-color ChromaDuMonde chart, attempting to straighten out a Canon 5D. This might have been the "Faithful" picture style, although I do not know if he was using live camera output, or files, or what.

By the way, those 4 dots at approximately 11 o'clock reaching in towards the center are the extra skin tone patches some of the DSC charts have. They are supposed to align to the "I-Bar", which is the vector on the vectorscope skin tones are arguably supposed to land on if everything is copasetic.

Philipp Eierund March 25th, 2011 08:06 PM

Hey Nate,

that's fantastic information, thank you! Too bad the charts cost so much. Now I assume you'd have to use the chart for every new picture profile you create, right?

Could you also use this chart to create profiles with cinegamma 1 or 3, for example? Also, what are the round color charts used for? I saw those as well.

Great info. Thanks!