DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Focal Length Equivalents on the EX Series Cams (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/493395-focal-length-equivalents-ex-series-cams.html)

Andrew Stone March 21st, 2011 11:14 AM

Focal Length Equivalents on the EX Series Cams

A question for those of you that have an EX Camera and an F3. What are the focal length equivalents on the zoom scale for the relatively standard focal lengths on cine lenses on the F3?

I am thinking about focal length equivalents for not only the 3 lengths that Sony has deemed essential but a broader range like:

18mm
21mm
25mm
35mm
50mm
85mm
105mm
135mm
150mm

Thanks!

Nate Weaver March 21st, 2011 01:01 PM

Re: Focal Length Equivalents on the EX Series Cams

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1630086)
A question for those of you that have an EX Camera and an F3. What are the focal length equivalents on the zoom scale for the relatively standard focal lengths on cine lenses on the F3?

According to the Abel FOV calculator, 1/2" multiplication factor is .3x

18mm 66.5º FOV equivalent is 5.3mm on the EX1/3, and so on (multiply the S35 lens by .3)

Andrew Stone March 21st, 2011 09:24 PM

Thanks Nate for the reply. Familiar with Abel Cine Tech's FOV calculator. I was hoping a camera operator with an EX3 or similar camera who now owns an F3 had gone through the exercise of jotting down the "Z" reading from the viewfinder for comparable FOVs on the F3. If you have an EX and an F3, it would be a natural thing to do.

Michael Power May 26th, 2011 06:08 AM

Andrew, if you go to EX1 manual at back in Specifications it rates the lens size in the equivalent 35mm - so EX1 is "(equivalent to 31.4 mm to 439 mm on 35 mm lens)". Then use the FOV calculator.

Chris Medico May 26th, 2011 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a spreadsheet that should give you a reasonable approximation of the zoom % in an EX1 for the lenses on your list.

For the lenses on the wide end you will need the Sony 0.8 wide angle adapter.

Nate Weaver May 26th, 2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Power (Post 1653024)
Andrew, if you go to EX1 manual at back in Specifications it rates the lens size in the equivalent 35mm - so EX1 is "(equivalent to 31.4 mm to 439 mm on 35 mm lens)". Then use the FOV calculator.

Just a heads up though, In that context and given the history of the use of 35mm equivalents in manus materials, I'd think they're talking about full frame 35mm, which is larger than a super 35 sensor.

Chris Medico May 26th, 2011 11:55 AM

FYI:

I used a S35 multiplication factor in the spreadsheet above. It correlated with the FOV calculator on the Abelcine website.

Doug Jensen May 26th, 2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1630280)
I was hoping a camera operator with an EX3 or similar camera who now owns an F3 had gone through the exercise of jotting down the "Z" reading from the viewfinder for comparable FOVs on the F3. If you have an EX and an F3, it would be a natural thing to do.

There is no "Z" reading in the viewfinder in an F3 yet. That's because there are no compatible zoom lenses to transmit that information (there will be in the future) -- and the prime lenses don't supply that info to the camera.

Also, even if they did, a "Z" number on one camera will have absolutely no correlation with the number on another camera or lens of different focal length. The "Z" numbers are just a percentage, so they have no absolute meaning.

Andrew Stone May 26th, 2011 11:03 PM

Z reading in the EX cams Doug, not the F3 and yes there is no absolute equivalent but there is a relative or approximate equivalent.

I set up my EX3 and F3 a while ago and jotted down the relative equivalents.

Once I find the sheet of paper I will post the results. I haven't looked at Chris's spreadsheet yet. Thanks for doing that Chris.

Chris Medico May 27th, 2011 04:18 AM

I took a look at the EX1 last night and the zoom isn't linear so the spreadsheet won't be as accurate as I would like. :(

Doug Jensen May 27th, 2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1653259)
I set up my EX3 and F3 a while ago and jotted down the relative equivalents. .

I guess I missed something, because it sounded like in your other posts that you didn't have both cameras and had the ability to do the comparisons for yourself.