F3 EVF Eyecup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Telecam Films

F3 EVF Eyecup

Since getting my F3, I have been struggling with its poorly shaped eye cup when shooting outdoors. I remembered hearing that the F3 viewfinder's is the same as the EX1r but lo and behold, not the eyecup. Today, I took the nicely shaped eyecup from my EX1R and fit it on the F3, perfect! I don't quite understand why the F3 does not come with a proper eyecup but the EX1R eyecup can be ordered from Sony parts. Cost $25, part number is 416485601. Worth every penny.

Thierry.

Last edited by Thierry Humeau; March 21st, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: F3 EVF Eyecup

Thanks for the tip Thierry. It's going on my shortlist.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Telecam Films

You are welcome! I am surprised not to see more interest (viewers) in that thread, that is a huge one. The F3 eyecup is pretty much useless outdoors. Then, if Redrockmicro could release the MicroEVF soon, that would make my day....

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Just ordered it. Only two in stock, now one. Price for that eyecup. $49.99.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Ordered one here in Canada. MSRP is about $35 here. ETAs here are apparently beginning to slip according to my supplier.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Since getting my F3, I have been struggling with its poorly shaped eye cup when shooting outdoors. I remembered hearing that the F3 viewfinder's is the same as the EX1r but lo and behold, not the eyecup. Today, I took the nicely shaped eyecup from my EX1R and fit it on the F3, perfect! I don't quite understand why the F3 does not come with a proper eyecup but the EX1R eyecup can be ordered from Sony parts. Cost $25, part number is 416485601. Worth every penny.

Thierry.
Thierry, do you use a Bluestar chamois eye cushion with your EX1R eyecup? I can't for the life of find out if the small or large one fits. Bluestar says both are correct.

Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong"
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Vortex Media

I am using "Bluestar Extra-Large Round Sony HD" eye cups on my F3. They fit great and keep that plastic eye cup off my skin. $5.45 at Filmtools in a variety of colors and materials. I'm using red now, but change colors ocassionally just for the hell of it. Just to be clear, it fits over the plastic one to help keep it's shape and rigidness, it does not replace it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta