Monitor Calibration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
New Boot

Monitor Calibration

I was wondering if and how you guys calibrate the build in monitor of your F3 as well as an external monitor such as the TV Logic VFM-056WP. I find it a bit hard to judge the color quality of these monitors as one doesn't really match the other.

Is there a good (and fairly inexpensive) method to ballpark the calibration of these monitors so that you get an impression that's a bit more accurate?

Thanks,

Philipp
Philipp Eierund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Monitor Calibration

Color Bars and How To Use ‘em Video University
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Steve! I actually saw that thread. Unfortunately, the Sony PMW-F3 color bars look slightly different which threw me off. Also, my TV Logic doesn't have any "hue" setting per say. It has separate color gains and bias for each red, blue, and green channel. I can't seem to get it quite right. Argh!
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp Eierund View Post
I was wondering if and how you guys calibrate the build in monitor of your F3 as well as an external monitor such as the TV Logic VFM-056WP. I find it a bit hard to judge the color quality of these monitors as one doesn't really match the other.

Is there a good (and fairly inexpensive) method to ballpark the calibration of these monitors so that you get an impression that's a bit more accurate?

Thanks,

Philipp
My TVLogic only arrived yesterday, but one of the reasons for purchase (apart from the gorgeous screen and great color out of the box) is that it can be hardware calibrated with and XRite EyeOne Display or similar (which I have used for my desktop monitors for years) - it may be worth asking your dealer, or failing that, I will post when I have it sorted myself.
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #5
New Boot

Great, Nick. I really couldn't get it calibrated. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Trustee

Be careful with color on the TV Logic because it will change with your vertical angle. Good to have a hood to insure you are on axis.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta