Camera bag for F3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:59 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Camera bag for F3?

Putting a camera in baggage terrifies me. Too many late baggage experiences these days. I think my clients would freak out
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:42 PM   #17
Major Player

We are all treated like baggage by the airlines :)
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM   #18
Telecam Films

I like the Lowepro X200 rolling case. The F3 fits perfectly accross (with the eye piece removed....) and I can add another 6/7 slr lenses, MTF adaptor, power supply and a few gimics. Also, fits in most airplane overhead storage and looks inconspicious to customs officers :)

Everything else of less value gets checked in a Stormcase.

lowepro pro roller x200

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Leonard, my bag strangely enough does not have a model number on it but it looks exactly like this. <http://www.petrolbags.com/Camera-Shoulder-Bags?q=node/1126> Recommended to me by Band Pro and is very happy with it - just went through China and Australia customs without a hitch vs. a large Pelican case would probably get pulled over for inspection. Fits comfortably on overhead compartments of international flights (small domestic planes may have smaller bins but you can put it sideways) and nothing like the peace of mind of having the camera with you and not checked. You can also buy Petrol's very compact trolley system for those long walks to the gate <http://www.petrolbags.com/node/1122> Just put a small piece of foam underneath the cam body to cushion the potential bumps.
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
The F3 fits perfectly accross (with the eye piece removed....)
Thierry.
Hi Thierry,
Removing the eyepiece does seem to make the form factor a lot easier for packing.
What are you doing for a 'removed eyepiece' cover? - on both the camera side and the eyepiece side?
Best,
Dave S
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM   #21
Telecam Films

I just wrap around the EVF a piece of plastic sheet with a rubber band, very basic.

T.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #22
Major Player

I have a Kata 197 bag for sale - only used once. No need for it now. Great bag though.

When I travelled with it, this did fit the overheads in a transatlantic flight - will not fit into the smaller domestic type planes.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #23
Trustee

I'm delaying decision till NAB, but am leaning possibly towards a dual solution.
1 bag for carry on that won't be large enough to pack a fully built camera to use when moving around between locations
Another larger bag that could go inside my luggage and double carrying clothes when flying, but on the set or at home & in the car could protect a fully built package so I'm ready to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hope a lot of these are at NAB.
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #24
Major Player

Re:Petrol bags

Has anyone tried or considered the Petrol PC003 Dr. bag for the F3?
I use the larger model for my PMW-350 and find that it has a lot of storage, is well constructed and easy to remove and insert the camera fully assembled. The only caveat I've encountered so far is its weight. But it does accept Petrol's roller carriage.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Has anyone tried or considered the Petrol PC003 Dr. bag for the F3?
I use the larger model for my PMW-350 and find that it has a lot of storage
Ron, I checked out the bags at the Petrol booth at NAB. For my taste the PC003 was too small as single go to bag for a shoot. I would want the size of the PC004 which I believe is the one you use for your PMW-350. The 003 would be good if you wanted a travel bag that might get on as a carry on (it's kinda tall though).

If you use rails, mattebox, brick batteries, lenses, monitor, mics, external recorder and so on, you could probably architect your way into the 003 but you would be doing a lot of assembly once you arrive on set.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lai View Post
Leonard, my bag strangely enough does not have a model number on it but it looks exactly like this. <http://www.petrolbags.com/Camera-Shoulder-Bags?q=node/1126> Recommended to me by Band Pro and is very happy with it - just went through China and Australia customs without a hitch vs. a large Pelican case would probably get pulled over for inspection. Fits comfortably on overhead compartments of international flights (small domestic planes may have smaller bins but you can put it sideways) and nothing like the peace of mind of having the camera with you and not checked. You can also buy Petrol's very compact trolley system for those long walks to the gate <http://www.petrolbags.com/node/1122> Just put a small piece of foam underneath the cam body to cushion the potential bumps.
It's the Petrol PC003 but they seem to be in short supply in the U.S.
However, the PC202, which is available, works just as well, and there is no need to remove the VF eyepiece.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Ron, I checked out the bags at the Petrol booth at NAB. For my taste the PC003 was too small as single go to bag for a shoot. I would want the size of the PC004 which I believe is the one you use for your PMW-350. The 003 would be good if you wanted a travel bag that might get on as a carry on (it's kinda tall though).

If you use rails, mattebox, brick batteries, lenses, monitor, mics, external recorder and so on, you could probably architect your way into the 003 but you would be doing a lot of assembly once you arrive on set.
Actually, I use the PC005 for the 350, and it fits in the bag with the stock lens and Zacuto rail system mounted. However,I just received an F3L, and was searching for a bag that would travel well with just the base camera, MTF adapter mounted and a few old Nikon Ai lenses. The PC005 is a large bag and not the most convenient to travel with, the PC003 (currently unavailable even from the distributor) or the PC202, which is available, are much smaller and make travel a lot friendlier. That said, it suits my proposed, relatively naked camera setup. On the other hand, if you plan on traveling with a matt box and associated accessories, or a long lens, they won't work, but the PC005 will, with a lot of room to spare.
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #28
Trustee

I bought the cinebags "CB-30 Camera Daddy" at NAB. I'l post how I like when it comes my way.
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #29
Trustee

Just got the Camera Daddy bag and its perfect.. I can fit the F3 on rails with mattebox and still have tons of room for accessories including 5.6 TVLogic. Apparently it is OK for carry on if you unload some of the extra pockets, but you have those pockets when working.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta