Camera bag for F3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Trustee

Camera bag for F3?

Any suggestions for a camera bag for the F3?

I'd like something that can go on an airplane, carry the camera with a lens, rails, ff and a mattebox when moving around on a job, and has surplus space for a few batts, cards , ac adapter / small charger , and maybe a couple of filters?
My Mattebox ( so far looks like it will be a Petrol) is 9 1/2" wide.

Man I feel like I live on this board these days. Anyone have a cot I can take a nap on?

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Camera bag for F3?

I am pretty sure the Kata CC197 is a good fit, but too big for carry on. The cc195 fits but there is not much room for accessories, this one is fractionally over carry on size.

Kata also have a new roll on carry on size bag and the F3 fits this, but I don't have a model number and it's very expensive.

With the max width for carry on at 10", getting a bag that will allow you to fit a 9 1/2" wide matte box on the camera will be next to impossible, unless you go for a vertical design such as a roll on bag.
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Alister,
Maybe I need to rethink the carry-on and carry with mattebox on at the same time. That's a drag though since the latter is convenient while working and the former a neccessity. Hate to bother with 2 bags tho since you end up working after you've arrived. What do you do about that?

BTW Will you be at NAB with the hurricane I hope? I've been talking that up to a client of mine.

lenny
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll be on the Sony booth shooting video blogs with the rig.
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Major Player

The Kata CC-197 was the "go to" bag for people with an EX3. I've been using it for a couple of years. While it houses a lot of stuff, you will have to get additional dividers (Kata sells them in packs) to properly secure all your lenses and rails/mattebox gear. Kata also makes a couple of backpacks, one of which is larger (don't have the model # handy) that easily swallowed an EX3 so it should easily work with an F3 and lenses. It also has been reported to barely get on as carry on gear and works well with the Trolly cart that Kata makes.

I plan to investigate the backpack as an addiitional option and I will be doing up a pelican or hardcase with properly done up insert (laser cut) for camera with rails, cine lenses and other cam package related gear.

I have switched to Pelicans for most of my accessory kit and Steadicam. I have been converted to hard cases for a lot of shoot applications. If you do go with Pelicans or Storm type cases make sure you get a good supply of the reuseable desiccant packs. Hard cases trap in moisture. Condensation can and will kill gear.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Trustee

The Kata CC-197 looks great but doesn't look like it will fit carry on. It is 27.2 x 13.6 x 12.6
I just read this rule of thumb for carry on
22 inches, no wider than 14 inches, and no deeper than 9 inches.

My Portabrace for the Ex-1 is 20x 12 x 10 - Just a hair wider would be fine.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Leonard, would you be able to post up a link or a give a model number for your Portabrace bag.
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

And for a totally out of the box approach.... I abandoned the all-in-one backpack that also must fit the carry-on rules yet still leave room for a toothbrush. I wanted a bag at my destination that would be my "day bag" and carry just the items I needed that day.

So I went with the approach of a bag for my camera that fit the "personal item" rules as my day backpack plus a Kelty day bag for the toothbrush and other essential equipment I didn't want go in checked baggage (which I reserved for luxury items such as clothing). As it happened, this was spectacular planning on my recent trip as I ended up waiting 5 days for the checked bag. YMMV.

The Thinktank Streetwalker Pro fit the bill for the EX1r and doubled as a papoose that stabilized the EX1r handlheld at times when on the move.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-awa...ennheiser.html
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Trustee

Maybe I'll have to rethink my goal and I could always have a similar dual use approach. One bag designed mainly for airports, and a larger bag that hides in luggage and is big enough to hold the fully built rig when working. Airport bag can switch to an access bag then. Wouldn't really be that hard. I guess a toothbrush and underwear in the airport bag isn't a bad idea.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

The Petrrol Black Deca bag is also a good option. Very sturdy, regulation size, lots of thick compartments. Room for the F3 body, 3 batteries & charger, EVF and a 7" monitor. The built in LED light strip is great for night wraps.
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

You could consider the Kata inflatable bags!!!!

You put the camera in it and inflate it to protect the camera. The "air bags" are designed for air travel and when not in use fold up to the size of a small cereal box. I'm not convinced by the concept myself, but it's certainly an option. The new Kata roll-on bags are to be released at NAB, its the new Lino Roller line and they have one that is a good fit for the F3, the MB LR050-7BB. As the camera sits vertically in the bag, you may be able to get it in with the matte box on, but you would need to check this. The price though is a rather steep $550.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM   #12
Trustee

Brian,
What's the number of that Petrol bag

I find all these bag websites a PITA. Couldn't they have a category or search button that indicates carry-on compliance.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Major Player

Note Alister's heads up on the KATA roll on bags to be shown at NAB. Like any purchase this close to NAB, it is best to wait in my view.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Trustee

Yes, I would love to wait till NAB - But I have a camera now and need a bag to work it!
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Major Player

We spend the time finding that perfect bag to carry on our camera(s) and the next thing you know that passenger X is jamming his roller board in the overhead bin into your new camera. Unless first class is an option to board first and find a empty bin, then I am having an anxiety attack trying to board before my section and find space for the camera. I gave that up a while ago and the camera is in a hard case in baggage. The other issue is a late arrival flight, trying to catch your connecting flight as you dash through the terminal, and just making the flight before the door closes and your informed, "no room sir for your bag, we will have to check it."

I must admit flying with a new camera for the first time is a bit unsettling until I see all my bags come out of baggage. I need GPS tracking on the camera so I know it is close at hand, not unlike the iPhone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta