New F3 items anyone at NAB have pictures or prices? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #16
Inner Circle

re: New F3 items anyone at NAB have pictures or prices?

i got a hint of the 18-252mm lens costing somewhere in the same ball park as a similar 2/3" broadcast lens. My guess would be around the $14k mark.

The big zoom uses the Sony F3 mount and is not PL mount, so it can only be used on an F3.
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #17
Wrangler

At that price, I doubt very many people will invest in it unless the F3 REALLY takes off, or they keep that mount around for 2-3 camera iterations. Not at all an investment lens the way a set of PL primes are or an Optimo zoom is.
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Here's a video of some accessories:

NAB 2011: Sony F3 Solutions | CineTechnica
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #19
Trustee

Abel; Cine's adapter that scaled up a normal B4 lens with all its power controls was pretty cool. You lost 2.5 stops, but on a fast F3 it might be tolerable and they said no resolution loss. It put a regular broadcast lens on an F3. I think around $5K but maybe cheaper.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #20
Vortex Media

While I was working for Sony at NAB I was told by someone within the company who should know, that their PL lenses are not universal. So, it is true that those lenses will not mount on certain cameras. I can't tell you exactly why they are incompatible or which cameras they will or will not work on, but they are NOT 100% universal.
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #21
Inner Circle

It could be that the rear optics go too far back. There are PL mount lenses that you can use on digital cameras, but not film cameras because the shutter will hit the rear of the lens.
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #22
Major Player

Really? Ok, I've only seen them on a RED and my own F3. No issues. Can't see why they wouldn't work on all, but of course I haven't personally tested all cameras. Now I'm very curious to hear other first hand reports?
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Abel; Cine's adapter that scaled up a normal B4 lens with all its power controls was pretty cool. You lost 2.5 stops, but on a fast F3 it might be tolerable and they said no resolution loss. It put a regular broadcast lens on an F3. I think around $5K but maybe cheaper.
Yes it looked pretty cool, but indoors the light loss is a real concern. Here are a couple of pictures of it I took.
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #24
Major Player

Sorry, pictures didn't attach. HDx35 here;
Attached Thumbnails
New F3 items anyone at NAB have pictures or prices?-hdx1.jpg   New F3 items anyone at NAB have pictures or prices?-hdx2.jpg  

Old April 16th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #25
Inner Circle

There's always going to be trade off with max aperture against physical size with large zoom range lenses on the S35 sensor camera. The result would be a DOF pretty close to a 2/3" camera with the modified lens used wide open. For interior work a f2.8 smaller zoom range lens may make more sense.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #26
Trustee

Re: New F3 items anyone at NAB have pictures or prices?

I was put off by 2.5 stops loss also but at NAB - pretty bright of course - it produced lovely pics at +6. Figuring you can shoot the F3 clean +12 and mild noise at +18. It makes it pretty useable. Especially for the kind of shows where you really want a traditional video zoom. It makes your camera useful say for meeting or event work or sports.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta