Rail Lens Supports for Heavy Lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Rail Lens Supports for Heavy Lenses?

Anyone have recommendation s for 15mm rail-based lens suports for long or heavy zooms? The Redrock one seems simple and resonably priced. I like the idea of a cradle rather than a screw so I can get the lens on and off quickly. Any alts out there?

Peter
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Rail Lens Supports for Heavy Lenses?

[edit: I just re-read your post and saw you're looking for actual lens supports. The problem is, as I mention right away below, is that if you have a lens that needs support, chances are 15mm LW rods are too close to the lens mount center to not be in the way. In any case, there's a long list of cine-suppliers that make this stuff. I wouldn't trust the newcomer companies to get these things right...there's weird clearance issues always that are kind of an experience thing]

All supports for big lenses are not going to based off of the lightweight/video 15mm spacing. The front of the lens will be too big, and the rods will physically interfere.

For big lenses, there are two standards: 19mm and studio 15. There's a diagram I spied from O'Connor that shows you what they are:

ROD STANDARDS EXPLAINED

Beyond that, there's some advice. Which standard you choose, 19mm or studio 15, you should choose based on your region. For instance, here in Los Angeles, the older standard of studio 15 has remained in place, even though most of the world has moved on to 19mm. So if you rent or buy, say, a Cooke 20-100 in Los Angeles, the lens support that will come in the case will be for studio 15 rods only. Do the same in NYC, and you'll probably get a 19mm support in the case.

In other words, almost the entire world has moved onto 19mm, but there are some regional holdouts. Make a few calls to find out what's in your area.

So beyond that business, you need to find out how to attach, say, a 19mm baseplate to the F3. They're all built for cameras with 3/8 on the bottom, and are "taller" from the bottom of the cam to the lens mount, because it needs to be exactly 120mm from the center of the 19mm rods to the optical center of the lens mount.

So far, the only thing I've seen people do is use the Zacuto universal baseplate as a LW15 adapter, and then put a 19mm or studio 15 Arri-style baseplate below that. Since the Zacuto is height adjustable, you can get the spacing right with it, even though it's overkill for the purpose.

Just another thing, do NOT be tempted to put some sort of adapter on LW15 rods that would hang down and create a place to put 19mm rods. Technically you could do this with a Zacuto jeep or something liek it. Don't do it. Those adapters are really made to do the opposite, which is to get LW15 off of 19mm rods where the weight demands would be much less.
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmmm..... I hadn't thought about 19mm. I have a fair-sized investment in a standard 15mm Zacuto kit I bought for the 7D which I want to mod for the F3. I've got quite good clearance to the rails because the mini-base plate is extanded to full height to fit my large Vocas MB450 MB. I'll keep looking around for a short term solution. I'm only looking to support DLSR telephotos.
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Corbett View Post
I'm only looking to support DLSR telephotos.
Nevermind. When you said heavy, I thought you meant Cooke 25-250 heavy :)
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes the definition of "heavy" can be varied :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta