onboard mic for F3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old September 15th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: onboard mic for F3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post

Am also looking at the old Sony 1-542-296 that was standard issue on Sony broadcast cameras for years. Its cheap directional and handles wind better. Not the greatest but ....

Lenny
this post is a bit old but I think that the 1-542-296 should be explained : AFAIK they came in two versions : the first version was made by Sony (not really but it was most likely a dedicated production probably by audio technica) and it was decent (very decent), picking up a little wider than the second version which was made by audio technica (the current AT875R actually) with a tighter pickup and also a little longer (the pickup not the mic) than the first version. They are both a great buy used on ebay. I have the first version on EX1r and also a newer 875r (label audio technica, not sony) and I tend to use the first version more because I do mostly interviews (with a lavalier also when I can) and I appreciate the (slightly) wider pickup in case of sudden movements or off-axis and stuff like that. They both sound the same. with a dead cat they do handle the wind better, much better than the omni lavalier for example or even a shure sm58 that I use from time to time (great presence and tone with that one, but it must stay close to the mouth). Anyway for the best voice I'd rate the SM58 on top, Just don't let the talent handle the mic. A lavalier with no wind comes right after and the 1-542-296 as an insurance in case everything goes wrong.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 02:38 PM   #17
Trustee

As long as you bring back this old thread - I went with old Sony 1-542-296. Found a couple used on ebay or craigslist and its great - does the job . Maybe not the worlds greatest mic but perfectly fine for an onboard and it handles quite well. Interesting to know it is the same as the AT - thanks for the info
When I bought 2 they looked different.
My friends had a housing with a lot of open space on the sides whereas the other mine looks more modern with slits along the sides. Don't know which is the older model.
Great review of this on TREW audio from 2010- this one looks like my friend's but the new ones on B&H look different

http://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/at875r/

lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:53 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
As long as you bring back this old thread - I went with old Sony 1-542-296. Found a couple used on ebay or craigslist and its great - does the job . Maybe not the worlds greatest mic but perfectly fine for an onboard and it handles quite well. Interesting to know it is the same as the AT - thanks for the info
When I bought 2 they looked different.
My friends had a housing with a lot of open space on the sides whereas the other mine looks more modern with slits along the sides. Don't know which is the older model.
Great review of this on TREW audio from 2010- this one looks like my friend's but the new ones on B&H look different

Trew Audio – Audio-Technica’s new breed…the AT875R

lenny
Lenny,
the one with the horizontal open spaces is the AT875r , the one with the vertical lines-spaces is the old one. Since I also have the AT875r I can confirm that they do sound exactly the same.

:)
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #19
Trustee

Thanks, guess I have the old one. Works for me.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:23 PM   #20
New Boot

Six years later and I'm so happy to finally find out which microphones I've laying around!

I knew that they cam from sony broadcast cameras, but was it was strange having them without a real name. Today I googled them and found the AudioTechnica, which look exactly the same.

Thank you, well, you might never see this post, but future Googlers might see it, so I drop the numbers in again for Google and robots:

Sony Electret Condensor Microphone 1-542-296-

Sony Broadcast Camcorder, DSR-300 DSR-400 ENG EFP Microphone

Audio Technica AT875R
Gregor Baumann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta