DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Green Screen Settings / Advice for F3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/496070-green-screen-settings-advice-f3.html)

Dave Sperling May 18th, 2011 07:16 AM

Green Screen Settings / Advice for F3?

Hello,

I have a green screen shoot coming up and thought this would be a good chance to do one to do with the F3.
Wondering whether anyone out there has a favorite picture profile/matrix settings for green screen work?

My client would be happy with either 30p or 59.94i
They normally use BorisFX for compositing, and cut in FCP.

(In addition to the SxS cards, my main recording will be going to a NanoFlash at 100Mbps LongGOP.)

The shots are not overly challenging - basic interview medium closeups -- no head-to-toe shots.

Also, has anyone utilized skin tone detail settings on green screen shoots? Seems like it would work ok as long as it's lightly applied and doesn't extend into hair or matte edge?

Thanks,
Dave Sperling

Nate Weaver May 18th, 2011 08:11 AM

Re: Green Screen Settings / Advice for F3?

I turn off detail on this camera anyway, but would doubly recommend it for green work.

Those little white halos around everything don't make it any easier for somebody pulling keys...especially hair.

Dave Sperling May 18th, 2011 08:52 AM

Thanks Nate,
I'll definitely be getting rid of detail enhancement.
Overall so far I've been using a matrix setting that reduces green a little for a 'normal look'.
I'm wondering if this kind of thing will help (by minimizing green in skin tones) or hurt (by making the green background slightly less-so?) I do tend to put green gels on the Diva lights illuminating my backdrop to make the green a little richer (and eliminate any reflection color issues) so I'm guessing that having the matrix pull a bit of green out may not be such a bad thing.

Nate Weaver May 18th, 2011 09:35 AM

I've lit green perfectly and had post people muck it up bad, and I've lit things very badly because of other considerations (not enough space, what the foreground subject needed to look like, etc) and had post people pull PERFECT keys...

...so in my experience shooting a lot of green, I'd say it has a LOT more to do with the talent and experience of the guy pulling the key than anything I do. So I don't go too far out of my way anymore... :-)

I don't think adding or subtracting green in the cam matrix would make too much of a difference. Remember, somebody might have to manipulate that later to make it look right anyway...and later they'd have less bits to work with.

Putting green on your backing illumination is prob one of the very few things that would make a real difference (and I should start doing when doing green w/tungsten)

Brian Lai May 21st, 2011 11:13 AM

Dave, I've been using Alastair's profile from one of his earlier post for a skin commercial with a green screen shot, recorded on Nano at 280Mbps Long Gop and exposed screen at key with very clean results. Agree that it comes down to the person pulling the key and sadly not how well you've lit your green screen. When all else fails there's always rotoscope and they do it very cheap online in India. Problem I always see here in Asia is the lack of motion blur they neglect to put back in with green screen shots and the foreground looks so sharp and 'keyed'!