F3 power supply xlr at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1
New Boot

F3 power supply xlr

the 4 pin xlr power input for the F3, can anyone help me wire a D tap swit battery, ie the 12v power supply would it be pin 1 = neg and pin 2 = 12v, or would it be pin 4=12v, thanks in advance
Ben Peake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: F3 power supply xlr

P1=Neg P4=Pos
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Curious when you are determining the pin numbers are you looking at the front of the plug or on the inside staring at the solder terminal side of the pins?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Trustee

Andrew,
Most plugs have them labeled on the plug face where the pins are. Not on the solder side. My Female 4 Pins go clockwise from 1 to 4 with the latch at 12 Noon Pin 1 at 2:30PM Pin 4 at 9:30AM.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes... the pin numbers are indicated -- very small. Be careful not to reverse to avoid fried F3.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Major Player

There are a couple of pre-made adapters around that I've used.
One of them (available from nanoflash.net ) goes from the ex1/3 style plug to a 4-pin xlr. It allows you to use the 'wire out' from the swit battery and still have the d-tap available on the battery. Also, you don't have to worry so much about the possibility of plugging the d-tap connector improperly.
Another one I've tried (I think it was bought from EC Professional in NY) plugs in to the d-tap, goes to a 4 pin xlr for the camera, and along the way has a female d-tap in the cable available to run something else.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Trustee

Swintronics makes a nice little 4pin plug with a receiver for the EX-1 type plug. Aleg Dolgin has an adpater that's about 2" long. Both are around $35 - $40 I believe.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Major Player

The Switronics one is cheaper and better in my view. The pigtail on the other versions out there add no additional functionaliy and only create a larger loop of wire to get hung up on and cause a disconnect at the plug. Best 30 bucks I have spent in a long time.

you can get it at Alex Dolgin's online store or direct from swit.us. Alex also sells a lot of other useful stuff worth checking out when you are in the market for batteries, power cables and such.

Battery Charger Quad - Camera DC Power - DC Power Converters - Panasonic - Sony - Canon - JVC
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta