DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   External EVF vs monitor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/497419-external-evf-vs-monitor.html)

Ron Wilk June 20th, 2011 02:41 PM

External EVF vs monitor?

Given the recognized limitations of the F3's EVF for fine focusing, I am trying to decide between something along the lines of a Zacuto or Cineroid EVF vs aTV Logic VFM-056 WP camera mounted monitor for outdoor, in-the-field use. Anyone care to comment?

No? All right, how about this: are there any F3 users who are employing the above described TV Logic monitor along with their F3 for outdoor use? If so, does it require the optional sunshade/snoot, and do you find it awkward to manage the monitor/F3 combination as it pertains to bulk and or weight?

Thank you in advance.

Chuck Fishbein June 21st, 2011 08:17 PM

Re: External EVF vs monitor?

I am currently using the Cineroid and it has improved my outdoor shooting 500%. Getting clear, accurate focus is easy in any light, as is the finding my exposure using the zebras. Personally, I'm finding the inconvenience of another accessory, minimal compared to the difficulty I experienced with the camera's finders.

Having said that, I find the Cineroid is way too fragile for constant use. The battery is difficult to remove and it is easy to bend the contact pins which seem to be mounted on a circuit board rather than the unit's frame. The mini HDMI input-output is also a problem waiting to happen.

Zacutos EVF, (though I had reservations trying it at NAB) is much better built and I've been told by an experienced DP comparing both side by side that it "provides a much smoother" image.

I have not had success using any other type of external monitor out doors in bright light.

Doug Jensen June 21st, 2011 08:59 PM

I think Chuck might be referring to me as the person who thought the Zacuto had a much nicer, more vibrant and smoother image.

I had the chance to compare the Zacuto and Cineroid a couple of weeks ago simultaneously on the same F3. It was not even close. All three of us who set up the testing immediately declared the Zacuto to be the winner. It wasn't even open for debate because the difference was huge.

Pieter de Vries June 21st, 2011 10:07 PM

The TV Logic VFM-056 is such a great monitor/viewfinder, but I tend to save it for my interior shoots, using Zacuto's Z-Finder EVF Pro for exteriors and any off the shoulder work.

Even though the TVLogic has a very effective sun shade, I prefer the Zacuto finder when working outside. With my eye right up to the eyecup, I can engage comfortably with framing and get exposure bang on in our bright and sunny (Australian) conditions. One of each, that'$ the way.

Matthias Sachal June 22nd, 2011 08:44 AM

Does anyone use the Hoodman EX1 Kit on the F3 LCD? It seems like a cheap solution, if you have enough weight on the back of your rig to balance out the front heaviness. I just ordered the Hoodman Kit and im curious if someone else uses that configuration.

Ron Wilk June 22nd, 2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1660394)
I think Chuck might be referring to me as the person who thought the Zacuto had a much nicer, more vibrant and smoother image.

I had the chance to compare the Zacuto and Cineroid a couple of weeks ago simultaneously on the same F3. It was not even close. All three of us who set up the testing immediately declared the Zacuto to be the winner. It wasn't even open for debate because the difference was huge.

Hi Doug,
Thank you, as well the others, for your reply.
A review of Zacuto's website revealed several different EVFs, which version did you find to be most serviceable on the F3?

Doug Jensen June 22nd, 2011 09:39 AM

I ordered this one, but it has not arrived yet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755493-REG/Zacuto_Z_FIND_EVFP_Z_Finder_EVF_Pro_3_2.html

Doug Jensen June 22nd, 2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Sachal (Post 1660577)
Does anyone use the Hoodman EX1 Kit on the F3 LCD?

I have tried it and it doesn't work. The placement is all wrong ergomonically and the LCD panel itself is not strong enough or rigid enough to support the weight and pressure.

Ron Wilk June 22nd, 2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1660596)
I ordered this one, but it has not arrived yet.

Zacuto Z-Finder EVF Pro (3.2") Z-FIND-EVFP B&H Photo Video

Thank you.
Just placed an order for same—should arrive tomorrow and will report back after putting it through its paces.

Doug Jensen June 22nd, 2011 11:02 AM

Mine should arrive tomorrow, too. It was out of stock a couple of weeks ago when I ordered it, but they didn't ship it when it came in the other day because they are still waiting for another out of stock item to come in. If I hadn't gone to get the link to post here, I never would have known it was now in stock. I called B&H and they are sending it today. The other item can come when it comes.

Ron Wilk June 22nd, 2011 02:18 PM

Well, we can compare notes.

Michael Palmer June 22nd, 2011 10:27 PM

I rented the Cineroid and it was just ok visually and the HDMI mini cables were terrible. I got the Hoodman EX kit and it is just a fix until an EVF comes with SDI. I support the Hoodman with a small cine arm to hold it in place, not the best solution but it works for now. HDMI is IMHO ridiculous, I couldn't image ever buying one when SDI versions will soon be available.

Leonard Levy June 22nd, 2011 10:59 PM

I'm using both the hoodman loupoe supported by a little arm with a ballmount and the TVlogic, pretty much at all times. In my own handheld system there is no problem with the placement of the flip out, and I was not impressed by either the Cineroid or the Zacuto. The Hoodman is OK but the color peaking is not as effective as it was on the EX-1. The TV logic is very very helpful. I keep a Hoodman sunshade on it most times outdoors and its not bad in sunlight. I hear the Hoodman is supposed to be a better sunshade for it than the TV Logic.

Matthias Sachal June 23rd, 2011 03:51 AM

I would love to see a picture how you worked the hoodman ex loupe with the articulating arm. It would be awesome if you could upload a pic of that, cause I already ordered the ex loupe.

Andrew Stone June 23rd, 2011 07:33 AM

Very interested in your report Doug as I know you have lived with professional EVFs on your ENG cams.

Frankly, I put my eye up to both the Cineroid and the Zacuto EVF at NAB and two things in both that were huge turnoffs on both. One was the overmagnification of the diopters which is not properly sized for the field of view for the fovea in our viewing eye. Second was the "mosquito netting" effect in the displays (someone else's term). In both EVFs, you can clearly see black outlines between the pixel sets which creates this netting effect over the displayed image. Those two things have prevented me from considering these units as workable solutions.