F3 with S-Log and Dual Link vs RED at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old July 30th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

F3 with S-Log and Dual Link vs RED

Hi,

Given a choice between a Sony F3 (with Dual link) and a Red One (non mX) for project meant to be projected on a large screen (12-15 meters), I am inclined to go with the F3 because of work flow and familiarity with XDCam cameras. We will be shooting in complicated situation and heat is a factor.

My question is whether there would be any significant difference between images captured on these two cameras: ie the RED is a 2.8 K sensor uprezed to 4K, while the F3 is a 2.5K sensor downrezed to HD.

thanks
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: F3 with S-Log and Dual Link vs RED

The RED One is a 4k Beyer RAW, which will have an edge in the resolution stakes and this tends to become more important on the large screen. It really depends on how important the other factors are to you.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Wrangler

Consider that you have been watching theatrical features shot on 1080 cameras for 10 years now, and on screens at least 3 times larger than what you are asking about. Very few people can pick out films that are shot on late-model 1080 cameras vs RED. Yes, perhaps if you viewed the same scene in a split-screen situation, but otherwise--many other factors trump the resolution numbers game. I would go so far as to suggest that for a 12-15 foot screen, the difference in resolution will be irrelevant (just as under a given size of LCD screen, the difference between 1080 and 720 is unnoticeable).
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The screen size is in meters rather than feet, but in the end either will do the job. Although, if it's filming wide landscapes I'd tend towards the RED over the F3 for a screen that size.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Wrangler

details, details! haha. oops.

Another factor of course is projection--assuming it will be a 1080 projector, not 4k? It's always better to start with more resolution, but I'll stick to my assertions. It would be interesting to see a test of this in split screen.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Indeed, it probably does depend on the projection system being used.

I suspect the difference may depend on how close you sit to the screen.
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'd go F3 w/ log and Dual link. You will get better latitude, and sensitivity than the REDONE (no mx like you stated), and based on experience with F3 and Slog, better color as well.

You will not win the resolution battle with a RED, but the F3 with all the fixings will win in several important areas, mainly image quality DR, Color rendition, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta