Sony Support for F3 (before it went offline) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old August 12th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Support for F3 (before it went offline)

Sony's Service Plus Professional web site for the F3 has been 'under maintenance' for months, well before the camera became widely available. Today it worked very briefly before indefinitely going off-line again.

As an eternal pessimist I'm always concerned with the welfare of my equipment and after reading the price list of the general parts on the F3 I'm about ready to wrap it back in cotton wool. For example, I was considering removing the optical port to clean it on the inside, as there has been a little dust since day one. After reading the replacement price of this small part: $537, I think I'll stay WELL CLEAR of any self maintenance.

Before it went offline again I inadvertently cached a couple of diagrams. This might be of interest or useful to some.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com (for when it works)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf front_assembly_pmw-f3.pdf (81.1 KB, 1502 views)
File Type: pdf rear_panel_assembly_pmw-f3.pdf (83.5 KB, 1090 views)
Peter G. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony Support for F3 (before it went offline)

Thanks Peter! Could be useful down the road.

-Andrew
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks from over here also.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Trustee

For what's worth I have part of the handle parts assembly sent me by Sony repair after the rubber connector holding my mic assembly ripped off due to a tight backpack I had it in
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Support for F3 (before it went offline)-f3-handle-parts-blowup.jpg  
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello Leonard,
Did you replace it yourself? Was it difficult? How much did you actually have to take apart to do so? Were you able to do anything to strengthen the connection?
- Thanks

(One of my typical 'pet peeves' is that most sound people I work with seem to think that looping through the mic holder is the optimal way to strain relief their quick release cables. While this may work fine with cameras that screw the holder directly into the camera body, it looks like a BAD idea on the F3!)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Trustee

The rubber part that ripped looked like it could have been replaced by itself as it seemed to be connected by small screws, but Sony won't sell that as a part, so I had to buy the whole mic assembly for $216. The whole assembly does screw into the handle though with a screw that is on the bottom of the handle. Nothing at all to replace it.
Re strengthening - I think I'll just be more careful.
Looping through the mic holder worked fine on the EX-1 which had a separate built in mic so mine was usually empty. But on the F3 I have a mic in it.
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Telecam Films

I found this mic mount to be quite weak and prone to break. I also don't like the stereo mic so, my two F3s have AKG SE300B/CK93 compact mono shotguns on Rycote Lyre mounts mounted on the cold shoe.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta