My First S-Log Tests. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old August 13th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My First S-Log Tests.

Hi There,

I just wanted to share my first tests shooting in S-Log with the F3. Recorded onto a KiPro Mini in ProRes (HQ) but looking forward to shoot in 444 when my Gemini arrives.

I love my S-LOG. | _mxr blog

Applied the LUT and did a quick colorgrade in FCP.
Christoph Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: My First S-Log Tests.

I think I can understand one of the major benefits of the s-log. Does it make the black lines look more defined? Obviously it must also lead to a clearer picture.

In order to work with raw data like 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 in Final Cut, what sort of Apple computer do you use?
Peter G. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

S-Log gives you about 3-4 stops more dynamic range. This results in less clipping highlights and less clipping blacks.

I am on a 12-core MacPro filled with 32gigs of RAM. This is what makes After Effects fly.
Christoph Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Not sure S-Log gives 3-4 stops. More like 1.5 to 2.

Given that a standard F3 is 11.2 stops, another 3-4 stops would take it into some incredible 14-15 stop territory that even film can't rival.

4 stops is 16x the dynamic range of a standard F3, hmm, I'd love to believe my cameras were capable of that but I can't. I've measured 12.5 to 13 stops with S-Log.
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Trustee

What was the light like when you shot this? Looks overcast or in shade already. Not a great need for Slog in that situation if I'm right.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

@Leonard: It was a sunny day but at dusk time already. I think that shooting in S-Log can give you better results regardless of the situation or setting. You have to grade it though.

@Alister: Yeah, I think you're right. I might be mistaken. 3-4 stops would be just too incredible. But even 2 stops additional dynamic range is quite impressive in my eyes.

Just came home from filming similar situations at nighttime with full moon also in S-Log. Cant't wait to evaluate the shots. Will post here as soon I have something together.
Christoph Tilley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta