DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   MTF or Adaptimax ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/499720-mtf-adaptimax.html)

Eugen Oprina August 17th, 2011 09:22 PM

MTF or Adaptimax ?

Dear friends,
I finally took the decision towards F3 camera.
I will be renting lenses most of the time but until Birger is releasing it's adaptor I want to use my Canon L lenses. What is your advice? MTF or Adaptimax ?
Please share your everyday experience with this adaptors.
I know that I'll have to take a DSLR with me in order to set the desired stop on the lens, this is a compromise that I understand and assume.
Thank you very much for your input,
Eugen

Jon Nelson August 18th, 2011 09:18 PM

Re: MTF or Adaptimax ?

It might depend on which lenses you are going to use with the adapter

The MTF rotates the canon mount about a quarter turn clockwise (when looking at the front of the lens mount). What this does is place what is normally the top of the lens at around a 2 o'clock position. If you are using a lens that you want to see the top of... it's great!

But, if you are using Zeiss CP.2's where the witness mark is normally at a 3 o'clock position so the AC can see it, the MTF moves this down to around 5 o'clock - at best the AC has to get on his/her knees to see the witness mark - at worst if you are using a matte box, the rods obscure seeing the mark from seeing it at all

I returned the MTF and bought the more expensive P+S Technik

Eugen Oprina August 18th, 2011 10:28 PM

Jon,
Thank you very much for the advice.
I knew that P+S announced PS-IMS-F3 Adaptor but no news since then.
Do you really have it?
What was the price and where did you get it from?
E

Charles Papert August 19th, 2011 08:45 AM

If you are using CP2's on the F3, why not use them in the PL mount configuration...?

Jon Nelson August 19th, 2011 12:15 PM

Eugen:

Yes, I have the adapter - bought it from ZGC (also got the MTF form them but exchanged it after I realized the CP.2 issue) - pricing is on their website (it's not cheap!!! it's over $800us)

Charles:

To me, it's great for every camera on the shoot, on the cart, or in the bag to have the same lens mount. In 2010 it seemed the bigger the gig the more presence and importance the Canon's footage was. Yes, I then owned one PL'd 7D but often there were several Canon bodies in play and I just couldn't afford to build a set of EF plus a set of PL glass (or buy more PL'd Canons) - many of my clients are still shooters doing motion as well and they own bunches of EF glass - EF glass is easily rentable - plus, the PL zooms don't cover the 5D.....

So, at the end of 2010 I decided to go EF with everything and changed my Red One over to EF with the Birger mount

In the first part of 2011, the Canon's roles grew even bigger and in July I decided to sell the Red One and buy the F3. I decided to continue the EF mount so everything will match. I'm too old fashioned to use the "twist-off" method so the only lenses I use on the F3 are the CP.2's with EF mount or Nikkor zooms though an FtoEF adapter. Hopefully Birger will get an EF mount out for the F3 soon.

I could always use a PL zoom but I've set the flange depth for the EF adapter so it would not be an on-set back and forth...

Michael Carmine August 23rd, 2011 07:36 AM

I just received my Adaptimax for the Canon EF to F3 mount and could not get back focus. Any ideas or suggestions besides returning the mount?

Eugen Oprina August 23rd, 2011 09:04 AM

Jon,
Thanks a lot.
I have ordered the P+S adaptor to a shop in Europe for 500 Eur.
The F3 is due to arrive tomorrow ;)
E