NFL TV Spot shot with F3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old August 29th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NFL TV Spot shot with F3

This is a TV spot we shot for the Green Bay Packers using the F3. It was shot on a blue screen, couldn't use green due to all the green items and clothing. We did not use an external recorder so this is all shot at 4:2:0. Still awaiting our PIX240 to do 4:2:2. But we are very happy with the results with the onboard codec, it keyed nicely.

kmotionmedia's Channel - YouTube
Gregory De Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: NFL TV Spot shot with F3

That looks excellent.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I was going to say that I could see some fringing, but then I realized it wasnt playing back in HD haha, problem solved.

Looks great, nice dosage of after effects - What keyer did you guys use?
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

We used KeyLight in After Effects. But more than the keying program the blue screen and lighting were the real key elements in getting a good key.

http://kmotionmedia.com/
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Trustee

GREAT TVC except for the team :p

Can you provide a little info: did an ad agency provide direction or how & who came up with the theme & direction? How many AE artists were involved and how long did it take to design the motion graphics?

Personally, I don't like it when a client asks me to create the theme without any direction from them and then they don't want to pay me for these additional services outside of building the spot. The worst is political 'build a spots' where I get only a script for VO and must design everything myself (usually within 24 hours, or sometimes 2 days). However, the standard pay for these build a spots is $2500-3500 not including stock assets and VO; so, I can't complain too much.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I am happy to say that the budget for this spot was much more than the budget you mention. So we had plenty of time for storyboards and upfront preparation. We worked with an agency on the concept which followed in line with the spots we created for the Packers last season.

So along with the agency we drew up the ideas and presented them to the client. I guess we work in a different way, most clients we work with want us to tell them what they want rather than the other way around. That is part of what we get paid for up front before the shoot and post production even happen.

Some clients come in "knowing" what they want. But most don't and want direction from us and or the agency involved. We work both directly with a client or like in the case of the Packers we work through their agency.

After the shoot a few weeks were spent on the motion graphics going back and forth between us and the agency before it was ready to show to the Packers. Who made one minor tweak before they went to air.

If you really want to get bigger budgets for your work pre-production/storyboards etc. are essential. IMO. The more you offer a client the more you can charge and the better the final product is. We try not to specialize in bang it out low end spots, I'd rather we spend our energy on the bigger budget spots and just do less of them.
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Trustee

I didn't mean to say that a 30s spot should cost any where near $3k. I have an idea how much this cost and its always great to have a client who knows that this is money well spent.

However, I still don't like the team :p
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta