DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   New mounting upgrade for Zacuto's EVF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/500395-new-mounting-upgrade-zacutos-evf.html)

Thierry Humeau September 6th, 2011 01:25 PM

New mounting upgrade for Zacuto's EVF

Here is a neat, simple but effective upgrade for Zacuto's EVF. The EVF Cheese Stick:
Search results :: Zacuto

Thierry.

Ron Wilk September 12th, 2011 07:08 AM

Re: New mounting upgrade for Zacuto's EVF

Hello,

I looked at the stick you mentioned, but it appears to require the use of under-mount rods.

After reviewing the suggestion of a poster on another forum, regarding an assembly of Berkey System accessories, I duplicated the supplied list. At this point, although the assembly was not inexpensive, it is the best method I have found for mounting the Z-Finder EVF Pro for ENG style viewing (EVF off to the side and toward the front of camera). It is very stable, highly adjustable and does not appear to add much weight.

Here is the list of required Berkey items:
1. Sony F3 Top Mount Cheese Plate with extension plate at $310.00
2. Cross Clamp at $50.00
3. Adjustable handle mounting Rod 8" at $64.00
4. Accessory Mounting Post w/Captive Screw (1.5" length) at $40.00
5. Kipp Lever at $10.00
6. Ball Driver 5/32" at $5.00

Andrew Stone September 12th, 2011 09:27 AM

Hi Ron,

The weight of the aforementioned apparatus is under a pound, close to 13 ounces. But most of the weight, 9 ounces of it, is the top plate that allows you to attach a variety of apparatus to the top of the camera. Once you have the top plate lot of other uses will come to light.

Thierry uses a Noga style arm on his. It works but I wasn't happy with it so I went with the Berkey apparatus. It is not cheap by any stretch but the importance of a properly mounted and decent EVF on the F3 cannot be understated in my view.

Ron Wilk September 12th, 2011 10:45 AM

Hi Andrew,

I agree, and that is why that exact setup is currently attached to my F3 ... works beautifully.
And thank you for doing the research that led to this combo.

Pier Laurenza September 12th, 2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wilk (Post 1681511)
Hello,

I looked at the stick you mentioned, but it appears to require the use of under-mount rods.

After reviewing the suggestion of a poster on another forum, regarding an assembly of Berkey System accessories, I duplicated the supplied list. At this point, although the assembly was not inexpensive, it is the best method I have found for mounting the Z-Finder EVF Pro for ENG style viewing (EVF off to the side and toward the front of camera). It is very stable, highly adjustable and does not appear to add much weight.

Here is the list of required Berkey items:
1. Sony F3 Top Mount Cheese Plate with extension plate at $310.00
2. Cross Clamp at $50.00
3. Adjustable handle mounting Rod 8" at $64.00
4. Accessory Mounting Post w/Captive Screw (1.5" length) at $40.00
5. Kipp Lever at $10.00
6. Ball Driver 5/32" at $5.00

Hi Ron do you have a picture of your "system" ?
I just received this morning the Berkey plates, I have the standard EVF from Zacuto a noga arm, but not very happy , I don't now if it's the weather ( I live in Saigon , quite hot and humid as everybody knows) but it always need some adjustment after some time
Cheers
Pier

Andrew Stone September 12th, 2011 11:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pier,

Here are ones I took a couple of weeks ago of mine minutes after I had it assembled. There is no wiring in place so you can see how it is built. The Kipp handle is essential for adjustment while operating.

I will take a few photos of it when I build the camera again. Right now it's off as I am in the middle of a Steadicam gig.

Pier Laurenza September 13th, 2011 04:35 AM

Thanks Andrew , I've got it !
I have a great "machiniste" as we say in French here in Saigon, he happen to be quite a talented photographer and understand perfectly my needs . He is using top grade aluminum from the USA
Only problem there is no anodizing here
I will ask him to make a support for me with a small rod support base placed on the top front of the Berkey plate

Thierry Humeau September 14th, 2011 12:33 PM

Here are pics of my Zacuto EVF top mount using a combination of Zac new EVF Cheese Stick, Ultralight Control System arm and clamps and a 16x9 Inc Cinelock quickrelease. UCS component are very light and very adjustable. A feature that is of particular interest is the clamping system that is designed to allow for moderate tightening thus, allowins for a level of friction and adjustment in the arm position which is perfect to fine tune the EVF position. Here are the pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1022297...7/F3ZacutoEVF#

Thierry.

Andrew Stone September 14th, 2011 01:20 PM

Very nice Thierry! Looks solid.

I've seen those Cinelock Releases around before but haven't given them serious thought till now. Zacuto is the only one I know of that has a competing product and Zacuto's is proprietary and a lot more expensive. I will be getting myself a couple of those Cinelock Releases in the near future.

Thierry Humeau September 14th, 2011 02:44 PM

My only grip with the Cinelock is that the base tends to spin around because there is only a single screw to mount it. Bizzarly, the wedge side has a secondary sunk screw that prevent it from spining around. I called 16x9inc to check and the guy who picked the phone says he has no clue on how to fix this. Doh...

Thierry.

Thierry Humeau September 15th, 2011 07:38 AM

Any of you have a suggestion to prevent the Cinelock base from spinning around? Glue, rubber pad, locking washer?

Thx!

Ron Wilk September 15th, 2011 09:45 AM

I encountered a similar problem with an accessory screw-in cold shoe. No amount of tightening seemed to keep it in place on the F3. I tried this approach for the purpose of mounting the Z-Finder in an off-to-the side position, but it wiggled all over the place. I'm afraid that any mount that provides only one attachment point, given the weight and ultimate torque provided by the EVF/arm or rod suspension, will suffer from the same limitations. That is the reason that I decided upon the Berkey system solution shown above. It works exceptionally well and is rock solid, without any movement or sway. Furthermore, although of less importance, the finished product gives the appearance of a function specific design without any parts sticking up in the air or swinging in the breeze. And the system, sans EVF, can be left attached the the F3 when put away for the night—no reassembly required.