Red Pro 300mm prime T2.9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Vortex Media

Red Pro 300mm prime T2.9

I didn't feel that my Nikon 300mm f/4 lens was giving me the performance and ergonomics that I wanted for my F3, so I decided to invest in a Red Pro 300mm T2.9. It arrived yesterday afternoon, and I could not wait to get out and shoot with it that evening. Overall, I am very impressed and am happy that I bought it. The bokeh is not as pleasing as my Cine-Xenar lenses, but it looks good enough for what I intend on using it for. And the best thing of all, I saved $2500 by buying a refurbished "battled tested" lens direct from Red.

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Red Pro 300mm prime T2.9

It looks really good.

I just ordered the 18-85mm from Red. How did you mounted the camera and lens. (support,rails, matte box, base)
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Vortex Media

I used my O'Connor matte box, follow-focus, and base with the lens. Next time I will probably leave the matte box off since it doesn't provide much benefit on 300mm lens -- but it really catches the wind and it was very windy when I shot the above footage. The matte box is just a big sail in the wind.

I had a small support riser from Shape under the lens but I don't feel it was completely necessary. The lens is not all that much heavier than my Cine-Xenar lenses and I never feel the need to support them from underneath. However, it is right at the edge of what I feel the mount can handle without some support.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Major Player

I was looking into that lens not too long ago, but a lot of people said I would need another $1,500 just to support it. I have the Zacuto universal baseplate so its a lightweight 15mm setup, will that shape support you mentioned work on those rods?

and I am assuming this is the one you are talking about:

LENS SUPPORT
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Yeah, that's the support I have. It's only $61 at B&H. I like that it just cradles the lens and doesn't have to be screwed in to work.

But, like I said, I'm not sure it is totally necessary. Personally, I would have no problem shooting without any support under this lens unless the camera was being moved around alot. Having support is probably a good idea, but not mandatory.

What was the $1500 of support you were told that you'd need? That seems overkill.
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Nice. good to know about BH and the fact that it might not be necessary, it probably won't hurt to have that in the bag though, along with some longer rods.

Now I guess I have no excuse to hold off on buying the lens!
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Major Player

I don't know about $1,500, but close to $800 (Support & Bridge). I will wait until I get mine and see what else I need. Hopefully I can use my LT 15mm support system. If that doesn't work then that would be an extra expense. I know I will need a new big matte box to fit a 142mm front lens.

It is just so difficult to get answers now days. I emailed RED last night complaining about their ordering system and they just called me to tell me that their order processing takes about 5 days. What is so difficult about shipping a used lens? They said that it said it in the Invoice, but the disclaimer looked like they were talking about the camera not a used lens that they said it was in stock.

I had schedule myself to work in the studio today to wait for FedX and then find out what else I needed for the lens. My feature starts production in 30 days so everyday is important.

Note to Self: Stop ranting and start getting used to the new F3. :-)
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Major Player

Thats the thing though, until Doug pointed out the Shape support, most people were talking about how lenses won't work on a 15mm lightweight system, you need a studio 15mm setup and that right there was another 1,500.

granted, for some lenses, maybe you do need a studio 15 but I don't think I will be buying many more lenses after I get the 300.

as for RED, I have never had an issue ordering through them. I think they tell you 5 days, but it never actually takes 5 days, unless its a check or something. I ordered with my CC and selected next day shipping and got it the next day. they were also really quick to email me when I had questions.

you have to remember though, the EPIC just went into full swing, I would imagine they are so slammed it isn't even funny.

as for a matte box. the RED matte box is supposed to be good for RED lenses, obviously. at the time I needed a new one for my RED 17-50 they were totally backordered, so I got the redrock micro deluxe bundle. I had to modify it a bit to fit on the 17-50 as it vignettes a tad, but I am all set now. plus its a swing away.
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Vortex Media

The five day processing also caught be off guard AFTER I had already placed my order. I agree that that they don't make that clear. Fortunately, it shipped the next day anyway.

Also, they listed front and rear lens caps as accessories ($20 each) so I added those to my order because I figured it must not come with any caps. But, to their credit, Red wrote to see if I was aware the lens did come with caps and if I really wanted two more. I didn't. I thought that was considerate of them to realize I didn't really want extra caps -- but then it raises the question of why not change the website to be more clear?
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Major Player

RED has come out with some fantastic cameras and lenses specially at their prices. They just need to listen to their customers and update their ordering systems.
I didn't mind paying $122 to get my lens early next day and compare to $68 for regular next day so I didn't have to stick around all day waiting for FedX. There was nothing saying that would email me to verify my address again. I had verify the address when I placed the order. I immediately checked my bank to see that they had debited my account. It wasn't until about 5 hours later that they email me to reconfirm. (After hours) I had assume it was out already. I place orders with BH and I get an immediate email telling that it will be going out and that they will email me the tracking number.

EDIT: Oh, the support that you mention would be good for my Nikon 80-200mm f2,8, but I wouldn't use it with a heavier lens. It would support a lens on a tripod, but when you take it off the tripod and swing it a little sideways it won't support it anymore.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
Thats the thing though, until Doug pointed out the Shape support, most people were talking about how lenses won't work on a 15mm lightweight system, you need a studio 15mm setup and that right there was another 1,500.
That was me.

Most large zooms or tele primes won't work, as the fronts will interfere with the rods (rods won't be far enough under the camera).

If a lens does work, it's purely luck. I was an AC for 10 years, I've had a lot of these sorts of things cross my path.

There IS a new movement, so to speak, since the Red came out and the F3 to make LW15 spacing work with larger 35mm cine lenses , but you have to know what to look out for.
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #12
Major Player

So, Nate What is the next best thing? Who makes it?

EDIT: I just received my 18-85mm which I wasn't expecting because they had told me 3-5 days processing. I email them the following:

"I was happily surprise to receive my lens about 15 minutes ago.
Thanks a million for expediting my order.
Just for your information FedX never emailed me before. Luckily I had just returned and I was ready to go again when the guy showed up."

Last edited by Douglas Villalba; September 15th, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Douglas Villalba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta