F3 + S-Log + -3dB + Neat Video = SUPER CLEAN! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old October 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #16
Wrangler

Re: F3 + S-Log + -3dB + Neat Video = SUPER CLEAN!

I sure with there was a way to get rid of the nasty highlight handling of the F3 without $3700 for S-log. That still looks great.

S-log makes it a new camera.
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Trustee

Is that the Zacuto Follow Focus, Arri mattebox and Sony prime lens? If so, what are your thoughts on the FF? I use these 3 pieces and don't like the feel of the FF. I don't have a ton of experience with other FF and cine lenses; so, I don't know if it is due to the Zacuto FF or the Sony lens. Essentially, I find it rough and turning the FF is not smooth, which has caused a bit of camera shake even though everything was locked down on a Sachtler Video 18.

About Neat Video: When I got my nanoFlash several months ago to use on my EX3, I extensively tested various PP settings to reduce noise. Then, I combined Cineform and NV to try various settings in order to reduce the noise prior to applying vfx and grading. I found that applying NV before anything else was done greatly enhanced my ability to CC & grade. I brought the nanoFlash video into Premiere Pro, applied NV and exported as Cineform. After that, I edited with the Cineform files and then brought into After Effects for grading. I believe this process is the best because I don't want effects and CC applied to the noise, which can cause other issues and artifacts.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It's even better if you use Neat Video in AE in 32-bit mode. It will basically generate new bits into the file and even heavy grading won't cause banding. It's pretty awesome.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Topponen View Post
It's even better if you use Neat Video in AE in 32-bit mode. It will basically generate new bits into the file and even heavy grading won't cause banding. It's pretty awesome.
Really? That's a big deal. Is that an official "feature" that has a name, or just something you found while testing?

I know that in computer-science/DSP speak that's essentially "dithering", but it's also helpful sometimes and I've never known any video app to offer it.
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Trustee

I have found in both Photoshop and AE that editing in 32bit mode does make a huge difference with color.
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:44 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Is that the Zacuto Follow Focus, Arri mattebox and Sony prime lens? If so, what are your thoughts on the FF? I use these 3 pieces and don't like the feel of the FF.
I am using the Shoot35 FF and Mattebox which I really like. Check it out here: Welcome to shoot35!
Christoph Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro Jona View Post
At what stage of PP do you clean your footage? Is it the first thing you do, the last?
I'm going to try it with what I shoot my EX1 in low light.
Thanks

pietro
I have the same question.

-
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
I have the same question.
The best time to clean your footage is the first stage because you don't want effects and color correction/grading applied to the noise. I believe that I stated earlier in this thread that I tested various workflows of when to use NeatVideo. Based on that testing, NV should be used at the very beginning. In addition, it is best to apply NV and export to Cineform, Pro Res HQ or DNxHD, and then edit. During my testing, I exported the same clip to Cineform with and without NV applied. Without NV applied, the resulting Cineform file was more than 3 times the size of the one with NV.
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks. That's what I've been doing as well. Only issue is it takes a long time to run neatvideo on my native footage.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
The best time to clean your footage is the first stage because you don't want effects and color correction/grading applied to the noise.
If there just would be a batch feature for NV :-( I would drop my whole footage in a batch and let it process over night or so.
Christoph Tilley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta