DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Problems with MTF adaptor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/502526-problems-mtf-adaptor.html)

Chuck Fishbein November 9th, 2011 07:38 PM

Problems with MTF adaptor

Curious if anyone else has had issue with their MTF F3 Nikon lens adaptors?

I was using the MTF with a Nikon 80-200 2.8 and now the lens cannot be removed. As if the release pin is not making contact inside the adaptor. This is leaving me both without an adaptor and without the use of the lens until I can find a safe method to separate them. I've sent an email off to Mike Tapa, but, I know from experience that that might take a while.

Has anyone had this problem and found a method to release it?

If there is no simple solution, of course, I will take it into a repair shop and have it worked on, but, it does leave me with a mild fear that this can easily happen again and totally kill a shoot. In this case, I was fortunate enough to have a (much slower) PL zoom backup and the client said little more than "Oh you're bringing out the big guns."

I will consider adaptor-redundancy in the future.

Thierry Humeau November 9th, 2011 08:15 PM

Re: Problems with MTF adaptor

Yes, happened to me too. That pin is threaded and needs to be tight in the adaptor. If it get loose, it sticks out too much and pressing the release button won't push it far enough in the adaptor to free the lens. I dont' recall how I was able to free the lens but I think the pin was just bigining to loosen so, I was able to force it a bit and remove the lens. That is when I relize the pin had come loose. I tighten it and put a bit of epoxy glue to make sure this would not happen again. Ask Dennis, I think the same happened to him.

Take care.

Chuck Fishbein November 10th, 2011 09:21 AM

Thanks Thierry,
Just spoke with Dennis and if his suggestion works I will post it.

Chuck Fishbein November 10th, 2011 09:55 AM

Dennis nailed it.

Using a dental pick, I was able to pull down the pin just enough to rotate the lens off. Then, as you suggested, I tightened the pin/thread and applied a tiny bit of epoxy. Working fine.

So, yet another tool that goes in the kit. Dental pick... check!

Much Thanks
Chuck

Dennis Dillon November 11th, 2011 09:37 AM

Chuck,
Glad it worked. It would be wise for all MTF owners to remove the mounting screws and apply a small amount of epoxy. I chose "Thread Locker Blue", which is a medium adhesive that can be overcome with a little extra effort.
When doing this please be careful not to loose the tiny spring that is enclosed in the lens release shaft. Also be careful not to loose any screws like I did. Mike Tapa MTF was very responsive and sent me out replacement springs and screws.

Steve Cahill November 21st, 2011 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Disassembly photo showing thread on the pin

Alister Chapman November 21st, 2011 03:52 PM

Sorry.. post deleted, superfluous information!

Chuck Fishbein November 22nd, 2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for that, Steve. I hope that MTF owners will take note.

Ron Wilk November 22nd, 2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fishbein (Post 1695846)
Curious if anyone else has had issue with their MTF F3 Nikon lens adaptors?

I was using the MTF with a Nikon 80-200 2.8 and now the lens cannot be removed. As if the release pin is not making contact inside the adaptor. This is leaving me both without an adaptor and without the use of the lens until I can find a safe method to separate them. I've sent an email off to Mike Tapa, but, I know from experience that that might take a while.

Has anyone had this problem and found a method to release it?

If there is no simple solution, of course, I will take it into a repair shop and have it worked on, but, it does leave me with a mild fear that this can easily happen again and totally kill a shoot. In this case, I was fortunate enough to have a (much slower) PL zoom backup and the client said little more than "Oh you're bringing out the big guns."

I will consider adaptor-redundancy in the future.

Yes., had similar problem with same lens. But rather than risk another occurrance I switched to a ProLock ... problem solved.