No easy way to change shutter speed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old November 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No easy way to change shutter speed?

Hi All,
Is there any easy way to change shutter speed in F3?
I tried using assignable button, but there's no option for shutter speed???
What the heck is this? I hope next firmware can assign shutter speed change to buttons or better yet the SQ button!
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: No easy way to change shutter speed?

I vote for adding a 'Direct Menu' as in the EX1/3 -- so you can adjust things like shutter speed directly from the screen info.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Trustee

I think to have a direct menu you would probably need a joystick though maybe you could use other buttons to maneuver on the screen.
I did write a letter to the development team a few months ago in response to suggestions for the F3 and high up on my long list was to greatly expand the options for using those assignable keys. Right now they've got these keys all over the camera but I find all of the options completely useless. Shutter speed was something I particularly stressed to them. Also to make PP choices, and pre-set color temps available through the keys would be fabulous.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Vortex Media

It's interesting to hear the different ways people use the same camera. For me, I find several of the assign button choices to be very handy and would have trouble using the camera efficiently without them. Yet, I have absolutely no desire to change the shutter speed quickly. I think I last changed my shutter speed in April.

I have suggested to Sony on several occasions that It would be nice if EVERY menu setting was a potential candidate for programming into an assign button. I can do that with my F800, so why not do the same thing with the F3?

I totally agree that the camera should have had a joystick like the EX1 and EX3. Even after using the F3 since February I still find myself reaching quite often for something that doesn't exist on this camera. The joystick sure beats a jog dial for speedy changes to the menus -- with or without the Direct Menu function.
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Major Player

When the S&Q dial is in Jog Dial mode, pressing the button could be used to enter the direct menu, spin the dial to navigate to a specific item, press button again to select item to change and have its options pop up, spin dial to select one of options... You get the idea -- easier then retrofitting a joystick.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Major Player

I want the SQ dial permanently set to Jog Dial. The number of times my camera has been move by a grip and arrived at the next setup in 720P is alarming...
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
I want the SQ dial permanently set to Jog Dial. The number of times my camera has been move by a grip and arrived at the next setup in 720P is alarming...
Yes I agree totally. Slow & quick motion is not everyday use, so better to have it in menu only.
It's better to have SQ dial as shutter speed selection.
Sony please make it like this:
Push and hold the SQ to change shutter speed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta