What rails system / matte box are people running? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old January 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What rails system / matte box are people running?

I was hoping to get a shoot35 system - i really like their kit, but according to their website their matte box is too small for CP2's

What matte box / rails systems are people running - anything anyone would recommend?
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: What rails system / matte box are people running?

O'Connor O-box with their universal baseplate, O-grips, and CFF1 follow-focus.
Red Rock rods.
Zacuto EVF
Bereky plate

Last edited by Doug Jensen; January 16th, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Zacuto Universal Baseplate (already had one) with Zacuto rails and Zacuto back cheeseplate for Anton Bauer battery mount. Petroff mini follow focus. OConnor O Box for Mattebox. Also Zacuto shoulder pad and Shape handles.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

O'Connor O-box, Bereky plate and rods, Cinevate follow focus
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Wrangler

Out of curiousity, Doug, Ned and Morton, are you using the rear bellows on your O-Box? I'm finding that the rubber flange constantly detaches itself from the solid ring--not a great design. Also,one of the red filter tray tiedowns is so recessed (and small) that most people including myself have a really hard time operating it. Otherwise, a decent piece of gear for the price.
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Genus Elite Matte Box with Genus uni-plate, but I really like the new MTF base plate if your only using it for a matte box and rails. It needs a rail support to the rear if you want to hang stuff off the back end.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mine sounds very similar to Ned Soltz!

Zacuto Universal Baseplate (already had one) with Zacuto rails and Zacuto back cheeseplate for V-Lock battery mount. Genus follow focus. Genus Mattebox. Also Zacuto shoulder pad and Shape handles.

Found the Shape handles work perfectly.
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Out of curiousity, Doug, Ned and Morton, are you using the rear bellows on your O-Box? I'm finding that the rubber flange constantly detaches itself from the solid ring--not a great design. Also,one of the red filter tray tiedowns is so recessed (and small) that most people including myself have a really hard time operating it. Otherwise, a decent piece of gear for the price.
Charles, I completely agree about the locking screws being very hard to get your fingers on. I have given feedback to O'Connor about this and hope they will come up with a better solution.

I don't use the rubber flange because I don't need it, but I also understand what you mean about it not staying attached. That was frustrating at first but then I found I didn't even need it at all with the Sony lenses or Zeiss CP lenses. For my Cine-Xenar lenses (that do need a flexible seal because they extend and retract as I focus) I use a rubber Red Rock donut that solves the problem perfectly.

I really like the build quality and the size of the O'Connor system, but it is not perfect.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Major Player

I have had some issues with the rubber bellows attachment on the O Box. I have an old Lomo 37-140 zoom (very nice images, actually) which extends slightly. If I am not perfectly lined up with the mattebox opening and the lens extends, it can dislodge the rubber bellows. Otherwise, it really has not been an issue for me. The locking pins are a problem. But all in all for the money it is hard to beat.

Something else that is pretty essential for F3, IMHO, is the Berkey top plate. The F3 handle is so weak that I wouldn't hang anything on it and the Berkey plate just looks like a natural part of the camera. Really well done.

If I didn't already have the Zacuto plate, I would have bought the ElementTechnica, but the Zacuto more than does the job.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta