Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #16
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chislehurst, London
Posts: 1,724
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Now Doug, why did you go and spoil my weekend here in cold, snowy damp London by showing us those fantastic scenes in Key West.

The colour shots are very clean, especially the night and low light shots.
__________________
Eyes are a deaf manís ears. Ears are a blind manís eyes

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; February 10th, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami, Florida, USA
Posts: 479
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Thanks Doug,

I will look you up when I am next in Miami. Remind me is it North or South of Washington ?
We are in the east coast of Florida about 1,100 miles south of Washington DC.
__________________
Douglas Villalba - director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida, USA - www.DVtvPRODUCTIONS.com
Douglas Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chislehurst, London
Posts: 1,724
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Just a bus ride away then :-)

Sorry for the English humour, I do know where Miami is, especially as we see the Hurricane reports on our news at least once a year.

ps. it is 3311 miles from Washington State to Florida State, or a very long bus ride.
__________________
Eyes are a deaf manís ears. Ears are a blind manís eyes
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami, Florida, USA
Posts: 479
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Just a bus ride away then :-)

Sorry for the English humour, I do know where Miami is, especially as we see the Hurricane reports on our news at least once a year.

ps. it is 3311 miles from Washington State to Florida State, or a very long bus ride.
Hehehe, I didn't say we have perfect weather all the time, just that it is very bright.
__________________
Douglas Villalba - director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida, USA - www.DVtvPRODUCTIONS.com
Douglas Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dorset UK
Posts: 65
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Ah... about 100 miles east of Dismal Key...

Last edited by Paul Ream; February 10th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami, Florida, USA
Posts: 479
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Speaking of Key West, here's my take on the city with my F3.
No grading. No S-LOG. Just easy shooting with a properly setup camera.

A Weekend in Key West with the Sony PMW-F3 on Vimeo
Very nice video Doug, however it is 180' the opposite of this thread is about which is the ability of the F3 to handle grading.
Sometimes you either don't have the perfect conditions to get in camera what you want or as in the video bellow you want different look from what you recorded.
I believe that this camera is best suited for cinematography and finishing in post to get full advantage of custom settings and specially S-LOG. Sure you can use it for news reporting where you want to report, not create. I believe it is best used to create.
I think it was Vincent that made the comment about the saturated look of a postcard. There is a reason why postcards are saturated. Who would by a postcard that looked the same as what you see with your own two eyes or a snap shot that you took with your disposable camera.
Sure you can set your camera to certain look, but you can't change it later like you could when you use a profile like Alister Chapman, Abelcine Range or S-LOG.
__________________
Douglas Villalba - director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida, USA - www.DVtvPRODUCTIONS.com

Last edited by Douglas Villalba; February 12th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Douglas Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #22
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,483
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

QUOTE: "Very nice video Doug, however it is 180' the opposite of this thread is about which is the ability of the F3 to handle grading."

My point is this: Why grade just for the sake of grading? If I can get better results without grading, why bother? In my opinion, your the video of the bridge is a poor choice as an example if your purpose is to demonstrate the F3's ability to handle grading. The final result looks like the original could have been from any video source, even VHS. Your test tells us nothing, except that you took a bland shot and made it worse.

Surely you can find a better example to show us? Perhaps a person indoors sitting against brightly lit window? And then grade it so it looks like a NICE finished product, rather than a cartoon. I think that would be a more useful example for us to view.

I think everyone's goal, including yours, is to produce an excellent finished product, so examples that show anything other than that aren't very educational. And if I can get an excellent finished product without grading, why bother? I have too much work already to do, without adding to my workload unnecessarily.

Believe me, I am a strong proponent of grading --- but I prefer to do it in the camera before any compression. I get a better image, I don't waste time grading every shot in post, I don't waste time rendering, and I don't create a bunch of needless extra files on my drives. And if I'm handing the footage off to a client, I don't have to be concerned that they won't grade it properly. Most clients have neither the time or interest in grading.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #23
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami, Florida, USA
Posts: 479
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
QUOTE: "Very nice video Doug, however it is 180' the opposite of this thread is about which is the ability of the F3 to handle grading."

My point is this: Why grade just for the sake of grading? If I can get better results without grading, why bother? In my opinion, your the video of the bridge is a poor choice as an example if your purpose is to demonstrate the F3's ability to handle grading. The final result looks like the original could have been from any video source, even VHS. Your test tells us nothing, except that you took a bland shot and made it worse.

Surely you can find a better example to show us? Perhaps a person indoors sitting against brightly lit window? And then grade it so it looks like a NICE finished product, rather than a cartoon. I think that would be a more useful example for us to view.

I think everyone's goal, including yours, is to produce an excellent finished product, so examples that show anything other than that aren't very educational. And if I can get an excellent finished product without grading, why bother? I have too much work already to do, without adding to my workload unnecessarily.

Believe me, I am a strong proponent of grading --- but I prefer to do it in the camera before any compression. I get a better image, I don't waste time grading every shot in post, I don't waste time rendering, and I don't create a bunch of needless extra files on my drives. And if I'm handing the footage off to a client, I don't have to be concerned that they won't grade it properly. Most clients have neither the time or interest in grading.
I am going to answer your post privately.
__________________
Douglas Villalba - director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida, USA - www.DVtvPRODUCTIONS.com
Douglas Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #24
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,483
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba View Post
I am going to answer your post privately.
Douglas,
Thank you for your private email. I'm glad to hear that my advice was helpful to you. Don't get discouraged, you're learning. Happy shooting!
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami, Florida, USA
Posts: 479
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Douglas,
Thank you for your private email. I'm glad to hear that my advice was helpful to you. Don't get discouraged, you're learning. Happy shooting!
Doug we have two things in common. The name and over 30 years in business and that is all.

I don't come to this forums to pretend I am the all knowing judge from heaven and to make comments to make people feel stupid.

I don't take over other people's threads. I open my own.

I strive for perfection at the expense that someone with short vision may want to embarrass me 'cause they only see the big picture, but the devil is in the detail. I can learn new thing even from a beginner and even from you 'cause I'm open to learning.

There is difference between constructive criticism and plain criticizing to make yourself feel you are someone. Stop criticizing if you can't take criticism.
__________________
Douglas Villalba - director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida, USA - www.DVtvPRODUCTIONS.com
Douglas Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,483
Re: Test of Alister Chapman's Flat Profile in Color

If two posts is "taking over the thread" then I will try to use better judgement.
Good day.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network