DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   F3 Discountinued? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/505759-f3-discountinued.html)

Emmanuel Plakiotis March 2nd, 2012 08:16 AM

F3 Discountinued?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743863-REG/Sony_PMW_F3L_PMW_F3L_Super_35mm_Full_HD.html

Does anybody know something more?

Maybe now that all the competition has open its cards (D4, D800, C300, 1DX, 5DIII), its time for good old Sony to turn the tables again...

Ron Wilk March 2nd, 2012 10:47 AM

Re: F3 Discountinued?

My source claims that to be an error. It's possible that the B&H web maintenance people may have mistaken a change in part numbers since the F3 will be shipping with S-Log onboard.

Jacques Mersereau March 2nd, 2012 11:46 AM

Here is the full kit. The rebate offer does call into mind the possibility of an upgraded model coming.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743866-REG/Sony_PMW_F3K_PMW_F3K_Super_35mm_Full_HD.html

Emmanuel Plakiotis March 2nd, 2012 01:05 PM

In Abel Cine is still available but also with rebates up to $1200. I think 1 year cycle, for such a high end model is very short. Yet again the competition is in full throttle now, so a new model may steal the show.
Time and NAB will tell...

Greg Boston March 2nd, 2012 01:23 PM

You won't likely see anything new from Sony until April. There are reasons for this that are business related.

Just my opinion,

-gb-

Peter G. Johnson March 2nd, 2012 03:15 PM

No, it's being rebadged. Have a read of CineAlta news on Twitter. S-Log is now part of the F3 at no extra cost. It is called: PMW-F3K/RGB and PMWF3L/RGB with S-Log standard. Well done there, Sony. Duping current owners again. Here is a camera that encouraged the first serious merge between prosumer and professional, could've easily included s-log from the beginning and then made insulting offers on hugely expensive lens and external recorders for those who paid for s-log. I use my camera as a serious hobby, not to make money and this whole thing is so deceptive.

Twitter

But you're certainly right. The Canon C300 has given the F3 a scare. It's lighter, includes 4:2:2 & 50Mbps, has it's own log.... and (this is just me) the optical block is superior to the F3.

I just had mine cleaned after so many issues with dust. Get ready for this, from the technician's own words: "These units are amazingly fragile compared with other products I have encountered." and "Trust me when I say that these units have been a real can of worms when relating to optical cleans." So I would recommend not buying a PMW-F3 if you're still considering a new camera. Either go for a Canon C300 or wait for the Sony PMW-F5.

Ron Wilk March 3rd, 2012 10:27 AM

Re: C300 Lighter than F3?

I find it interesting that a significant number of individuals have chosen to insist that the Canon C300 is lighter than the Sony. And in stripped down mode it certainly is, but that isn't an apples to apples comparison, is it? The C300, sans lens—from the specs contained in its own user's manual—weighs in at 6 lbs once you bring it up to equal footing, with handle, LCD screen, XLR cluster and standard battery.
The Sony F3 without battery weights in at 5.3 lbs, add the standard battery and you're probably close to if not exactly at the same weight as the similarly attired C300.

Chuck Fishbein March 3rd, 2012 02:02 PM

I just had mine cleaned after so many issues with dust. Get ready for this, from the technician's own words: "These units are amazingly fragile compared with other products I have encountered." and "Trust me when I say that these units have been a real can of worms when relating to optical cleans." So I would recommend not buying a PMW-F3 if you're still considering a new camera. Either go for a Canon C300 or wait for the Sony PMW-F5.[/QUOTE]

I've been hammering my F3 nearly daily for close to a year now on all types of projects, outdoors and in studio conditions and personally, I've yet to run into a "optical cleaning issue" beyond that I would find in any camera with interchangeable lenses. In fact, I have had more issues with dirt on my Nikon D3 sensor than I've ever had with the F3.

I also find it a bit odd that a technician would make this kind of suggestion or claim and I'd be interested to hear what facts it was based upon. Especially, his thoughts on why a non-existant F5 will be an improvement.

David C. Williams March 3rd, 2012 03:56 PM

I have had a number of dust issues with three bodies, but these cameras where seriously hammered over a six month period shooting on location under very harsh conditions. Sony fixed all of them under warranty.

While I am surprised dust could get into the optical block, and it did cost us time, I would not trade my F3 for a C300. The F3 images is visibly superior, especially in colour accuracy and latitude. 50 vs 35mbit is a non issue unless your submitting to the BBC. If your shooting to 10bit log external, they are not even in the same league.

Peter G. Johnson March 3rd, 2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fishbein (Post 1718733)
I also find it a bit odd that a technician would make this kind of suggestion or claim and I'd be interested to hear what facts it was based upon. Especially, his thoughts on why a non-existant F5 will be an improvement.

The observation was from an officially accredited Sony technician who knows these cameras better than any user. The observation about an F5 is mine. I think both the F3 and the C300 are lacking. At the time of purchase I would've been happy to spend a few thousand more if either of these cameras had what most people had been asking for and didn't exactly get. The compromise of having to use external recorders for example just makes it unnecessarily complicated.

As it turns out however, the quality I've been getting from the Pix 240 recorder (4:2:2, 220Mbps & 10bit) means that either camera would be just as suitable. The difference I suppose is Sony's s-log. I've been simply unlucky that my F3 had inherent problems from the start and I was too passive to do anything about it until now.

Duke Marsh March 3rd, 2012 10:31 PM

Peter, it is a shame that you've had problems. I'm shooting my F3 on nearly a daily basis, and it was one of the early ones, with no significant problems. (I do use an air squeeze jet on the lenses and sensor at least once a day.)

Like many, I think the F3 with a 10 bit recorder blows the C300 away because its more versatile. The C300 is strictly 8bit. No way to fix it. S-Log and a recorder is the way to go.

I do think its a shame though the way Sony has been treating the previous S-Log buyers. I'm still somewhat hopeful we'll be given an extended warranty or something of that nature. However, that hope is diminishing daily.

Chuck Fishbein March 4th, 2012 08:59 AM

"The observation was from an officially accredited Sony technician who knows these cameras better than any user. The observation about an F5 is mine. I think both the F3 and the C300 are lacking."

Fair play to you, Peter. I'm not trying to pick a fight nor am I attempting to defend Sony in this case.
I just found it odd that the tech would trash a camera that is being used so successfully by so many.

I agree that it is a shame that you've had issues with the F3 and I guess I would expect a Sony trained service tech to help find a remedy, not suggest another brand. Then again, I'm not sure why I am surprised.

I recently had serious issues with a zoom rocker on an EX3 lens, and one of the lead service technicians at Sony's Teaneck New Jersey facility handed me a list saying "That's as good as it gets for this price, here is a list of better, more expensive lenses you can buy"

George Griswold March 5th, 2012 11:40 AM

Hi Chuck,
The lens on the EX-3 was pretty weak. They finally admitted that it was unable to do a slow zoom. I got the Fuji adapter and use my Fujinon 5.2mm X 10 lens with it... much better option.