Is the F3 for me? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 7th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Is the F3 for me?

Charles I totally agree with you with the consumer monitor approach. I do the same in Hong Kong and manage to get the 17" pro panasonics 90% close to the client's large Samsung consumer units, explaining that final colors can only be judged in front of the Da Vinci, or Lightworks, connected to $$$ monitors. We shoot TV ads and realize everybody's flatscreen at home are adjusted differently compare with our $$$ monitors. So WTF? Bottom line is we hope what the audiences see at home is a close balance to what we spend hours refining in post.

Brian
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #17
Trustee

Something I like to do is use a LUT burned into the S-Log recording which reduces the amount of grading in post. I also can happily record internally to the SxS with the LUT because the image isn't as flat; so, I have a lesser chance of banding issues in post. However, for maximum latitude, you can't beat recording to Pro Res or DNxHD such as the PIX240. I'd imagine that some networks would welcome DNxHD masters.

However, for broadcast clients, I don't see S-Log creating any extra demand for you - the F3, most likely.

For rental prices, the best I have seen is $1200 for 4 days for the F3 + 3 lenses (lensrentals.com including shipping).
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Steve, you'd be better off setting up a PP to get the look you want rather than using a LUT that way as your now applying two layers of gamma/gain to your footage before recording it, so you'll have more noise than you would wit a straight PP. You won't get any more DR than you would with a regular Cinegamma or even REC-709 as this is what the S-Log gets mapped back to.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta