S-Log Sample, colored in Davinci - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old May 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM   #31
Wrangler

Re: S-Log Sample, colored in Davinci

There's a lot of unknowns here, but I'll try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I installed LUTBuddy but how do I get the Alexa Log-C LUT installed in it?
LUTBuddy is pretty short on documentation, especially where it comes to LUT formats it accepts. The Arri LUT generator, as a last option, allows you to pick a file format.

I'd start with a LUT for Apple Color (.mga), and then work my way through the other LUT formats (with a concentration on non-high-end color correction programs)

I assume once LUTBuddy is installed as a plugin, it's straightforward to get it to recognize a LUT file? As in, a README file tells you where to put the LUTs, etc etc?

Quote:
Do i need Colorista, and if so can the Free version suffice?
It HAS to be better than the FCP 3-Way.

Quote:
I did go to the Arri site and downloaded what i thought were a bunch of LUT's, but LUTBuddy didn't recognise them.
Lotta options on that generator site. I've made a screen grab of the options I recommend. Take special note on that last pulldown menu in lower right. You're gonna have to try a bunch of different file formats until you happen upon one LUTBuddy likes.
Attached Thumbnails
S-Log Sample, colored in Davinci-screen-shot-2012-05-01-1.01.54-pm.png  

Last edited by Nate Weaver; May 1st, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #32
Trustee

Thanks Nate,
That helps. Good to know that I'm on the right track with the Arri site & just need to experiment with file formats. I found some pretty good documentation on LUT Buddy and a tutorial that shows you how to build a preset LUT using colorista and Curves in AE then you can import that preset to FCP. Actually I very quickly built a LUT that was pretty reasonable.

The Natress FxFactory "Curves & Levels" plug in also looks promising so its all starting to look like I night be able to give clients an easy roadmap to slog grading so they don't freak-out. (I found a glitch that Graeme is working on though.)

Why do you prefer Colorista Free to the FCP 3 way? On quick glance they look pretty similar tho Colorista might be a little easier & faster to use.

Can you make that Arri screen grab available or send it to me @ <NSLL@pacbell.net>?

lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM   #33
Wrangler

Slightly off subject but since Colorista came up--I have to say that the secondary key and pop adjustment is the quickest and most effective way to apply "digital makeup" that I've seen (it's in the full version, not the free one). I use it all the time to make the ladies purtier. Colorista is pretty great.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:53 AM   #34
Inner Circle

The F3's MLUT's converted to standard .lut files are available here for you to download:
XDCAM-USER.COM &bull; Login

These work in LUT buddy and most other grading applications. Let me know how you get on with them.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Alister,

Thank you so much.

H.
Henry Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM   #36
Trustee

Alister,
Thanks so much for the LUT's. At first glance they look more useful than the others I've tried. However I am having a problem with them.

The 8 bit LUT's seem fine but with the 10 bit LUT's I'm getting some kind of weird reverse color that looks like its solarized or something very bizarre. I'm using Red Giant LUT Buddy in FCP 7.03 on a sequence that is Pro Res 422 on shots recorded in a PIX in 10 bit . The sequence is set either in render all 10 bit in high precision YUV or render all YUV in high precision . I tried it with both.

I had the same thing happen with Natress Curves when I tried to use its option "S-curve".

By the way do you know what the other settings in LUT buddy should be .I've played with the settings on the import tab and on the plug in but they don't seem to change anything
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM   #37
Inner Circle

FCP only renders effects previews in 8 bits. This may be part of the problem, but I think it might be LUT buddy.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM   #38
Trustee

Great Final Cut Pro is crashing when i try to render it in either LUT. Might be LUT Buddy.
Why is this so damn hard!!!!!!!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #39
Major Player

I never had any luck with LUT Buddy. Tried using the Cinestyle LUT when Technicolor first released it, and it crashed FCP 7 every time.

Trying to figure out now how to adapt these LUTs for Resolve.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM   #40
Trustee

My experience with LUT Buddy is that Alister's LUT's which are .lut files all crash FCP, however if you make .mga LUT's from the Arri C-log LUT software on-line , those will work. Also a .cube LUT made by LUT Buddy in AE also doesn't crash FCP.

Alister, Is it possible to transform your LUT's into another format? ( I tried just changing the file suffix top .mga and .cube as a long shot but it didn't work.)
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM   #41
Wrangler

.cube works?

Leonard, emailing you the .cube Alexa Log-C LUT out of Resolve
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:29 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Here is a .cube version of the Sony 709(800) F3 Lut.

Couldn't attach it here as the file is too big. While it is a 3D Lut, the original LUT was 1D so there is no colour change.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:39 AM   #43
Trustee

That's great Alister.
It worked fine. Was that a 10 bit or an 8 bit LUT?
Hope it was the 10 bit because it was fine in preview as well.

On on my to work, but just checking briefly it looks more natural than some of the other curves I've been trying.

Will you make cube versions of the other Sony LUT's also?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:44 AM   #44
Inner Circle

I've converted all 4 to .cube

The .cube luts are 32 bit floating point 3D LUT's with 128 samples. As the original F3 LUT's are 1D these only perform a 1D transform.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM   #45
Major Player

So let me get this straight-- the .cube will work in both LUT buddy and Resolve?
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta