DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   S-Log and Slomo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/508226-s-log-slomo.html)

Raymond Schlogel June 2nd, 2012 05:36 PM

S-Log and Slomo

Wondering if anyone else has already tackled this with an easy solution. I got the upgrade to use S-Log on a night shoot, though the shoot went well and ultimately I got things looking right in post I hadn't realized until afterwards that S-Log doesn't work on slomo. Quite the little surprise. Has anyone made a picture profile that approximates the look of S-Log in these situations? Or is there some other better way to deal with this?

Thanks in advance!

- Ray

Peter Corbett June 2nd, 2012 05:41 PM

Re: S-Log and Slomo

Did you come out of the SDI-A output to an external recorder? If you come out of the SDI MON output and have the monitoring LUT turned off, you get S-log 720P just fine.

Raymond Schlogel June 2nd, 2012 05:47 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned I was/am recording straight to SxS.

- Ray

Ron Aerts June 3rd, 2012 11:54 PM

huh?? S-log to Sxs internal? Is that possible?
I don't think so.

Nate Weaver June 4th, 2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Aerts (Post 1736538)
I don't think so.

Yes it is, it's easy.

Doug Jensen June 4th, 2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Aerts (Post 1736538)
I don't think so.

Yeah, it's possible. But not advised. If you're only going to record to the SxS cards, then you'd be a lot better off using a nice Picture Profile that won't require any extensive grading. To get the most out of S-LOG you really need at least a 10bit 4:2:2 recorder.

Raymond Schlogel June 4th, 2012 11:24 AM

Appreciate the advice and to some degree Doug your reply is the answer that I'm looking for but minus the details, a picture profile that will emulate the look of S-Log for use in Slomo.

I've been working with the camera for a good long time now and though you or someone else smarter than I may have crunched some numbers that imply otherwise, to my eye S-Log even when just recording to the SxS card the image does have more latitude to it. And I certainly don't mind a little CC, in this day and age it seems pretty rare that footage doesn't get treated to some degree or another regardless. And I've always been one of those that shoots flat rather then risk baked in looks that I may or may not want to stick with in post.

- Ray

Alister Chapman June 4th, 2012 12:17 PM

Firmware version 1.4 will allow you to use S-Log as a gamma curve which of course can then be used at any frame rate or shooting mode. Shouldn't have to wait too much longer!

I can't recommend S-Log for 8 bit either. Standard gammas give you about 25 grey shades per stop, S-log at 8 bit reduces that to about 18. Of course you can use s-Log like a conventional gamma and over expose it, but in doing so you loose much of the advantage it's supposed to bring. Correct S-Log exposure is about 1.5 to 2 stops lower than conventional gamma. That's how you gain the extra headroom. However it will look underexposed on a monitor that doesn't have S-log gamma.

If your not exposing S-Log correctly and exposing it like a conventional gamma then you don't gain much headroom and as Doug said would probably be better off using a cinegamma, especially if recording to 8 bit.

Raymond Schlogel August 14th, 2012 11:44 AM

Just following up, did the 1.4 update ever get released? Not sure where to check on this.

Thanks!

- Ray

Ron Wilk August 14th, 2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1736557)
Yeah, it's possible. But not advised. If you're only going to record to the SxS cards, then you'd be a lot better off using a nice Picture Profile that won't require any extensive grading. To get the most out of S-LOG you really need at least a 10bit 4:2:2 recorder.

Despite the lack of advantage of S-log recorded to SxS, am I correct in my understanding that any LUT engaged and thus passing through the SDI monitor port will be baked into the SxS recording as well?

Chris Medico August 14th, 2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wilk (Post 1748432)
Despite the lack of advantage of S-log recorded to SxS, am I correct in my understanding that any LUT engaged and thus passing through the SDI monitor port will be baked into the SxS recording as well?

Yes, that is correct.

Joseph Anthony August 14th, 2012 01:26 PM

In answer to Ray's question, yes, version 1.4 was released and S-log is available as a gamma curve in your picture profiles now.

Firmware Version 1.4: Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Raymond Schlogel September 12th, 2012 04:54 PM

So finally got the update but confused. SLog is indeed available now in S&Q motion BUT even though in S&Q Motion as 1280/23.98 it won't let me go 60/24, only 30/24.

Anyone have a clue why? This seems to be only when SLog is enabled. I can do 60/24 when it off.

- Ray

Douglas Villalba September 12th, 2012 05:47 PM

The f3 doesn't do 1080p60 internally and it only it with full slog upgrade out through dual link.

Raymond Schlogel September 12th, 2012 06:03 PM

Well I had paid for the full upgrade but not sure if there was a separate one for those of us who paid, the 1.4 I got was from the link above. I'm aware it won't do 1080 but as I mentioned, this is 1280/23.98.

- Ray

Jose Rodrigues September 12th, 2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba (Post 1753079)
The f3 doesn't do 1080p60 internally and it only it with full slog upgrade out through dual link.

totally true!

Douglas Villalba September 12th, 2012 07:39 PM

Sorry about that. I just saw 4 figures ending on 80 and I assume 1080. It is usually 1080 or 720.
I have to check on S&Q when I get to my camera. I know it won't go lower than 17 fps at 1080 after the 1.4 upgrade.

Alister Chapman September 13th, 2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba (Post 1753079)

That's incorrect. If you set the camera to 60i/50i and set the "Dual Link & Gamma Select" to "1.5G YPbPr & Video" you will get 60p/50p on the A and B dual link outputs, even without the CBK-RGB option.

So a standard, non S-Log F3 can output 60p/50p via dual link.

The bigger problem is the lack of recorders that can record dual link 60p/50p.

Douglas Villalba September 13th, 2012 02:20 PM

That is correct. One use I can see is on food shoot connected directly to a computer with a dual link card.
I've never done a test but I know that Timur Civan did a test a while back.

Douglas Villalba September 13th, 2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1753129)
So a standard, non S-Log F3 can output 60p/50p via dual link.

Don't you needed the CBK-RGB option to activate the B output?

Chris Medico September 13th, 2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba (Post 1753250)
Don't you needed the CBK-RGB option to activate the B output?

No. You only need it for RGB 4:4:4. It will output 4:2:2 YUV @ 60p without the option.

Rudy Wilms September 13th, 2012 07:11 PM

Which recorder can record dual link 60p/50p in full HD? I work with Adobe CS6 on a windows platform

Thanks Rudy

Ryan Hollings September 13th, 2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Wilms (Post 1753287)
Which recorder can record dual link 60p/50p in full HD? I work with Adobe CS6 on a windows platform

Thanks Rudy

Cinedeck

cinedeckEX / cinedeckRX

Ron Aerts September 14th, 2012 12:24 AM

Convergent design Gemini 4:4:4. Great recorder and a good price!
Gemini 444 | Convergent Design