DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   New Music Video on F3. All natural light, 24 + 60 fps - Mike D - Back in Time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/508254-new-music-video-f3-all-natural-light-24-60-fps-mike-d-back-time.html)

Dennis Hingsberg June 4th, 2012 10:53 AM

New Music Video on F3. All natural light, 24 + 60 fps - Mike D - Back in Time

This is a music video I directed and shot with the F3 for artist Mike D and his track "Back in Time".

Mike D - Back in Time (Official Music Video) - YouTube

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/7...1529a50a_z.jpg

If you like this guy's stuff check it out at iTunes: iTunes - Music - Back in Time - Single by Mike D

Questions, comments & critique very welcome!

John Cummings June 4th, 2012 03:50 PM

Re: New Music Video on F3. All natural light, 24 + 60 fps - Mike D - Back in Time

Very nice. You made the most of that white room.
I would be careful on the dissolves not going from face to face, especially when they're framed about the same. You know the artist (while singing) is almost always screen right in the dance studio, so I would have been more careful about keeping the girl and two shots of them together screen left for the cuts and dissolves. You have a lot of screen real estate to work with there...a little planning and storyboarding could have helped you out there. Nice song, nice shooting!

Dennis Hingsberg June 4th, 2012 04:39 PM

Re: New Music Video on F3. All natural light, 24 + 60 fps - Mike D - Back in Time

That is great advice and I definitely agree with you. Face to face dissolves can feel a little awkward. We shot with a limited time of 5 hours and ended up with even more limited clips in post.

Now that you mention it however, for example it would have been a good idea to flip that last shot of the girl in post to put her on the left side.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Richard Cavell June 5th, 2012 01:23 AM

Dennis,

The cinematography is impeccable. You make me want to buy an F3. Were you using the prime lenses? There's a kit that has 35mm, 50mm, 85mm in it.

I'd like some more visual variation, though. There are too many shots of Mike sitting/singing in a bare room. The shots of the girl are excellent.

Richard

Dennis Hingsberg June 5th, 2012 02:18 PM

Hi Richard, thanks for your comments. After using 35mm adapters for nearly a decade, shooting with a camera like the F3 is simply outstanding and I enjoy working with it every chance I get.

I used all Nikon lenses; 24mm, 50mm and 85mm set between f2.8 to f4 mostly with ND filters and polarizers as needed. I measured f8 - f11 at 800ISO with my light meter in that room which is absolutely phenomenal!

I wanted to keep the artist performing the actual song in the same location, as in the concept for the video this is the location where he would visit to recall all the memories he had of his girlfriend. I wanted a large, empty, pure and lonely feeling for it - but I do admit that did not leave a lot of options for my shots.

Steve Kalle June 5th, 2012 08:43 PM

Is it me or is there quite a bit of zooming/scaling in post? I assume yes because you didn't have time to setup a dolly or slider, maybe?

NOT a criticism at all. Its something I like to do, but I have had people 'complain' that its not a true movement.

If it is scaling in post, then you should get a Red Epic or Scarlet - I mean, that IS the reason to use them.

^^ totally joking.

Just thought of something while watching: what is your reason for using white bars instead of the usual black? AND did you consider changing them from white to black or grey or some combination in order to convey a change in the songs mood/tone, especially since it was about this guy's memories of a girl he loved.

Dennis Hingsberg June 5th, 2012 09:17 PM

Yep, light crew and only 3 hours in that studio space so time was ticking (throw a little bit of laziness in there too). There were no original plans to do any post zooms but once we were in editing they seemed very fitting, and when they are subtle I think it really helps draw the viewer in and out of the shot or story as needed.

The following sections have post zooms done to them;
00:17, 01:07, 01:10, 01:19, 01:25, 01:33, 03:02, 03:11

Some other spots have fixed post zooms done required to stabilize jerky shots.

When shooting 1080p you can definitely get away with some scaling in post for re-framing of shots, motion stabilization, or simulated dolly moves or zooms, and where shootign on film or 4k would really come in handy is say for jump cutting between medium and close-up shots within the same take. This is something I can live without for now.

As for the letter box, in post we went back and forth between white or black bars but settled on leaving them as white to fit the overall light colored room and look of the video. We never thought of changing the color during the video. That would be an interesting idea for a future project however! I've never seen that done before!

Alister Chapman June 6th, 2012 05:45 AM

Looks like there was a lot of bounce off the floor onto the singers face and arms making them very yellow in a few shots which gives those shots much more of a video look. A bit of negative fill from some black poly or a black drape on the floor would have made quite a difference. The shots where he is sitting in the shadows and the exteriors have much nicer colour. I'm not sure whether it is a designed look or not but I think your a touch hot on skin tones in a few places and it's making them go a little pasty.

Dennis Hingsberg June 8th, 2012 02:38 PM

Great reply Alister and very observant for you to notice.

The shooting schedule only allowed 3 hours in the studio and I picked the time of day based on where I knew the position of the sun would be. The idea was the first 2 hours for just the performance shots, and the last hour for any scenes with the girl. Any time left over (there was not much) were used for pickup shots of the singer at which point the lighting had changed quite drastically. Again no time to deal with minor lighting changes, but had this been a bigger production more effort would have gone in to matching it.

Thanks again,

Alister Chapman June 9th, 2012 10:07 AM

One of the things I learnt to carry with me in my basic lighting kit a long time ago was a black drape. It costs almost nothing and is incredibly useful. It can blank off a window, be used as a backdrop, cover the camera and tripod to mask it's appearance in reflections, reduce unwanted reflections, act as negative fill and even help prevent lens flares. Yet I am amazed at how few camera operators carry one. Maybe it's just too low tech!

Dennis Hingsberg June 9th, 2012 10:10 AM

Great idea for sure!

Doug Jensen June 9th, 2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1737442)
One of the things I learnt to carry with me in my basic lighting kit a long time ago was a black drape.

Same here. It has paid for itself many times over! Low tech is good tech.

Dennis Hingsberg June 9th, 2012 08:45 PM

Here is the Vimeo version of the video incase anyone is interested in seeing the quality difference over YouTube.

Mike D - Back in Time - Music Video Directed by Dennis Hingsberg in Sony PMW-F3 User Group on Vimeo

Dennis Hingsberg July 5th, 2012 11:51 AM

Hey guys,

Please to announce this video just received "Official Selection" to a local film festival which is pretty exciting!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...71711222_n.jpg

Mike D - Back in Time (Official Music Video) - YouTube

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/7...1529a50a_z.jpg