DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   BC-U2 to power F3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/508797-bc-u2-power-f3.html)

Ron Wilk June 25th, 2012 12:32 PM

BC-U2 to power F3

I am using the above charger to power my F3 via a Vortex Media cable. However, the camera presents with a low voltage warning? Any ideas?

Doug Jensen June 25th, 2012 01:23 PM

Re: BC-U2 to power F3

There's probably something wrong with your BC-U2. I use the same configuration and don't get any low-voltage warnings. Can you test the output voltage?

Rudy Wilms June 25th, 2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wilk (Post 1740122)
I am using the above charger to power my F3 via a Vortex Media cable. However, the camera presents with a low voltage warning? Any ideas?

I use the same and it works perfect

Ron Wilk June 25th, 2012 04:11 PM

Good to hear that it should work ... guess I'll drag out the old multimeter.

Ron Wilk June 25th, 2012 05:36 PM

I checked the voltage output from my BC-U2 and it reads a steady 12.2 volts. My connection to the F3 was via a 4 pin XLR adapter cable, and I wonder if the problem could lie there within. I have no way of testing the cable and have just sent off an email to the supplier to see what they have to say.

Chong Pak June 25th, 2012 07:53 PM

isn't there something in the menu where you can set your power warning, just change the voltage to a lower voltage.

Ron Wilk June 26th, 2012 07:16 AM

QUOTE: "isn't there something in the menu where you can set your power warning, just change the voltage to a lower voltage."

If it's even possible—haven't come across that menu option—and if the camera's warning is accurate, changing the voltage will only serve to squelch the warning. I suspect that the camera's reading is accurate because it went to battery power while I was updating to firmware Ver 1.4, and I can confirm this by the drop in battery charge after the process was complete.

Leonard Levy June 26th, 2012 12:09 PM

On a cheap analog voltmeter mine looks like it registers around 12.6 V or so.

Alister Chapman June 27th, 2012 03:50 AM

Your really pushing the limits of the BC-U2 if you have the A/B SDI outputs on. The F3 draws 2 amps when everything is on, while the BC-U2 is rated at 2 amps, running power supplies flat out like that is never good long term. I use a 3 amp supply with my F3.

Ron Wilk June 27th, 2012 07:17 AM

Hi Alister,

Yes, I agree. I found that the camera read the BC-U2's output as 11.9 volts at rest—no camera activity. And I assume that it called for more amps than the unit could supply during the firmware update. I just ordered an IDX power supply—4.4 Amp, 13.5 volts, 60 Watt— that will hopefully do the job.