BC-U2 to power F3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old June 25th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Major Player

BC-U2 to power F3

I am using the above charger to power my F3 via a Vortex Media cable. However, the camera presents with a low voltage warning? Any ideas?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: BC-U2 to power F3

There's probably something wrong with your BC-U2. I use the same configuration and don't get any low-voltage warnings. Can you test the output voltage?
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
I am using the above charger to power my F3 via a Vortex Media cable. However, the camera presents with a low voltage warning? Any ideas?
I use the same and it works perfect
Rudy Wilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Good to hear that it should work ... guess I'll drag out the old multimeter.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Major Player

I checked the voltage output from my BC-U2 and it reads a steady 12.2 volts. My connection to the F3 was via a 4 pin XLR adapter cable, and I wonder if the problem could lie there within. I have no way of testing the cable and have just sent off an email to the supplier to see what they have to say.
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

isn't there something in the menu where you can set your power warning, just change the voltage to a lower voltage.
Chong Pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Major Player

QUOTE: "isn't there something in the menu where you can set your power warning, just change the voltage to a lower voltage."

If it's even possible—haven't come across that menu option—and if the camera's warning is accurate, changing the voltage will only serve to squelch the warning. I suspect that the camera's reading is accurate because it went to battery power while I was updating to firmware Ver 1.4, and I can confirm this by the drop in battery charge after the process was complete.
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Trustee

On a cheap analog voltmeter mine looks like it registers around 12.6 V or so.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Your really pushing the limits of the BC-U2 if you have the A/B SDI outputs on. The F3 draws 2 amps when everything is on, while the BC-U2 is rated at 2 amps, running power supplies flat out like that is never good long term. I use a 3 amp supply with my F3.
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Alister,

Yes, I agree. I found that the camera read the BC-U2's output as 11.9 volts at rest—no camera activity. And I assume that it called for more amps than the unit could supply during the firmware update. I just ordered an IDX power supply—4.4 Amp, 13.5 volts, 60 Watt— that will hopefully do the job.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta